Gretsch Guitar Ukulele G9126

peaceweaver3

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of mahogany in general. But for some reason I keep wondering about this one. I haven't found any true reviews, just a few Youtube videos debuting the Gretsch G9126 Guitar Ukulele. If you have one, might you answer the usual subjective questions? :eek:

How does it sound? More guitar- or uke-like?

How is the build quality? Setup out of the box?

And really what I'd like to know, is how it compares to the Yamaha GL1. If you have both, do you notice differences?

If I spring for this one too, it will be for the solid top and 14 frets to body.

Thanks for your feedback!

Oh, and someone really needs to come up with a more attractive name for these g-lele things... My son contributes "lele-tar." I like that. But then I'm biased. :D

I bought the G9121 A.C.E. tenor cutaway with Fishman Kula preamp a few months ago when I was just starting to play. I read a number of reviews saying how nice they thought it is. I was caught up in UAS (still am) and got a good deal, $199 US with shipping. Out of the box it could use a setup, the action is a little high. The Aquila strings are a little stiff, but it has good sustain and presence, a little bright, but could be warmed up with different strings, which should also help the action. I would say it's more uke like. The pickup balance is a little off, another part of doing a setup. The construction and finish is very nice.

Last edited:
I recently bought a Gretsch guitar ukulele, and I am completely happy with it. The quality is better than the Yamaha - certainly worth the additional $50-$60.

I was not too keen on the Aquila guitalele strings, so I immediately replaced them with D'Addario Pro Arte nylon classical strings (hard tension). They improved the sound and playability substantially. (I hate floppy strings.) I will probably give the extra hard strings a try next time.

The instrument is not super bright sounding - but it sounds more uke like than guitar.

The neck is a bit chunkier than I would like... But I can live with it. Overall, it is great fun - especially at that price point. I would recommend it.

Islander. HMS. Mine came yesterday. Love it. I have both the Yamaha and the Gretsch. I prefer the Gretsch to the Yamaha, but I love, love the 2-inches-at-the-nut fretboard of the Islander.

Islander. HMS. Mine came yesterday. Love it. I have both the Yamaha and the Gretsch. I prefer the Gretsch to the Yamaha, but I love, love the 2-inches-at-the-nut fretboard of the Islander.

... And I thought the Gretsch was chunky.... 2 inches is just way too wide for me.

... And I thought the Gretsch was chunky.... 2 inches is just way too wide for me.

Anything less I can't play. I had a cordoba a short while and I couldn't cleanly fret single strings. But I do like a tenor size. Bari just is too huge.

To get back to the original question - The Gretsch and the Yamaha actually don't sound all that different to me, but I think the Gretsch is more attractive.

Thanks all. Wicked, I knew you had the Gretsch and was going to PM you, but I thought others may be interested too. :)

Anything less I can't play. I had a cordoba a short while and I couldn't cleanly fret single strings. But I do like a tenor size. Bari just is too huge.

Bari is too big for me as well, both scale and body-wise. Who knows, I could grow into it someday. For now i've been comparing the tenor scale models. It would be nice if more of them had a cutaway. Why is it that the cutaways only come with electronics?

Anyway, thanks for the replies!

I put the Low G REDS Aquillas on mine and love the sound of it.

I've just bought one of these. It's lovely. I played it in the shop and had to have it! Very happy with it indeed... just need to learn all these new chords now!

Bit of a necrothread response, but I have both the Yamaha the Gretsch, and it's not even close. Fit, feel, and construction all goes to the Gretsch. Plus I have the ACE, so plugging it in is always a plus. Get the big G and you'll never regret it.

Top Bottom