Buying a new ukulele or vintage ukulele? Read on.

Such a shame that they didn't list the actual instruments used in the test. I know the Strads safe the holy grails of the violin world, but at one time, they too were brand new violins, being tested and broken in. If I outlive my beloved clarinet, I hope I am able to find a new instrument that will bring me great joy and be able to get over the sentimentality of what has passed.

That violin test has been on UU in the past, and it's nice to review it again.

I am one of the few on UU that think most ukes sound, essentially, the same. Many videos (some of us recall Andrew's 2012 blind video challenge of 7 Hawaiian ukes, including Kamaka, Koaloha, etc., and maybe one person got most of them right...lol; PDXUkes Martin test early 2013) with blind tests show this to be fact for ukes, too.

That said, when there is a distinct difference in build structure--such as the new Martins (post-2010) and the vintage Martins (pre-1930)--there is a discernible difference in sound.

This is like the blind wine tasting tests between a $5 bottle vs. a $500 bottle!

I believe modern instruments made by real luthiers sound better than vintage. Why? Because they have the knowledge gained by those who went before them. That said, I like a vintage Martin as much as anyone. However, geared tuners are the bee's knees! I have grown tired of messing with friction tuners- old and new.

Violins are miserable to buy though I can tell you that. With Ukulele's the brands are very clearly defined. With violin's half the time you have no idea who made them. There is a brand by some guy with the last name Chao, made in china and new and known for being decent. My daughter has a 1/8th. It was SO miserable shopping for it. I wrote fluke and told them to please make 1/8 and 1/4 sizes crickets it would have made purchasing much easier for me :D

Really though buying ukulele's is easy compared to violins. You really can't buy a good sounding $200 violin. Base price for decent is $500. Then there is the bow, you have to have a nice bow you can't just buy a nice violin and then a crappy bow.

I spent $500 on my daughters 1/8 chao, then $110 on the bow and like $90 on a vintage case that is nice and solid (WAY cheaper then the new cases) but of course hers is kinda heavy but oh well. So all in all like $700 OMG!!! And I will say for a tiny violin it can sound nice. I couldn't stand to listen to her practice and have it screetch and scratch. I wish she would grow faster so I can trade it up for a full size so I can play it hehe!

It's empirically interesting, but all moot as far as I'm concerned. "Better" is always in the eye (and ear) of the beholder. My favorite uke is my Maui Music tenor. At the time I bought it, I was learning to play fingerstyle classical and baroque pieces, and it proved to be the perfect instrument for that, providing a lot of tonal color differences based on my attack. I fell in love with it then and that love affair continues. But someone else might pick up that same instrument, strum a few bars of "Ain't She Sweet," and think, "Meh. Not very ukey."

Much like the people in our life, we fall in love with instruments because we take the time to learn them and get the most out of them.

A few years ago, MGM did an audio test of a bunch of ukes, asking if people could tell the difference between solid-wood and laminate tops. Most of us couldn't. Like Rich says, it's in the ear of the beholder.

It's empirically interesting, but all moot as far as I'm concerned. "Better" is always in the eye (and ear) of the
Much like the people in our life, we fall in love with instruments because we take the time to learn them and get the most out of them.
Rich, I absolutely love this quote! So much wisdom!

A few years ago, MGM did an audio test of a bunch of ukes, asking if people could tell the difference between solid-wood and laminate tops. Most of us couldn't. Like Rich says, it's in the ear of the beholder.

I still remember that #11 was picked by many people as the best sounding tenor. Number 11 was a Kanile'a and that is why I bought a Kanile'a. I took that uke to Mccabes recently while looking for a KoAloha and played it (and had someone else play it) against two KoAlohas and two Kamakas. It still had the best sound.

However I just picked up a used Bushman spruce top concert with mahogany lam sides and back. It is a nice little player and for what I paid I'm very happy with it. It is still missing something though, as are my laminate sopranos compared to my solid. I'd say some color and warmth and resonance.

Every ukulele I've played (and classical guitars I've owned) had a rather distinct sound, and they do not sound alike to me. The difference is greatest when one manufacturer is played against another, but I recently bought two Martin C1K ukes, and while they did sound alike right after stringing them with Oasis, they grew far, far apart in tone and volume. One was shipped back yesterday.

When I was heavy into classical guitar, I used to buy from the Classical Guitar Store in Philadelphia. I'd often get there the day after a half dozen guitars arrived from a luthier, and it was rare that two sounded alike. Sometimes it was very close, but not often. I bought a Jean Baptiste Castellucia, but returned a week later because more were scheduled to arrive. After spending two hours trying the different guitars, I left with the one I had already purchased.

I'm hoping the pricey Koaloha that HMS is shipping out today doesn't sound like a $60 laminate from GC....

My son has played violin since the age of six (26 now), and has an incredible ear when it comes to tuning. He's not the person you want to take shopping with you, however. He usually says, "They all sound the same." What use is that??? :D

Top Bottom