NUD Yamaha GL1

peaceweaver3

Reaction score
Just received a GL1 from a fellow UU member, so a happy adoption! :) I haven't actually played it yet, but the build quality is better than I expected. And the fretwork, which I always touch first, is really good. No sharp edges, rough finishing, etc.

I've always wanted a uke with a gloss finish, and this is not the one, but the matte finish is nice and smooth.

The neck itself is thicker than I thought, but I should have expected that with a guitalele. It's kind of uke/classical guitar, and that's what I want. The nut isn't unreasonably wide, I think it will fit my hand nicely. And I love love love the headstock! Not sure why, I just like that classical guitar slotted head. I was hoping the GL1 would have that (I listen to ukes before buying but can't see the pics, so the visual aspects are always a surprise!)

This uke was both a good deal, in general and because I got it on UU, and a present... Because I also received my Masters Degree today! :D I will report more and post a sound sample when the uke(?) settles in. I'd like to do some comparisons of the tenor size guitar/ukes. Which is an excuse to have more of them!

Congrats on the uke and the Masters Degree! We'll need some pics, though (of the uke, not the diploma)

Hope you can take some much deserved time of and get to play

+1 for being open-minded! I just dug out a guitar pick, which I got from my sister who had no idea where it came from, tried it on the GL1 and the thing sounds amazing! It has a mellow sound strummed or fingerpicked, but with the guitar pick it's loud and bright. Now to make sure I don't lose it - the pick that is. :eek:

I might lower the action, but not yet. I also can't tell how good the intonation actually is, with the strings settling in. But I do like this uke!

Congratulations on your master degree. Enjoy the GL-1. I'm glad you like it.

The Yamaha guitalele is amazing quality for the price - and it sounds great too! Enjoy. And congrats on your Masters too.

If the yamaha guitarlele has a closed pore finish, you could always buff it up to make it glossy!

Top Bottom