Shortened Tenor Neck on a Kala Travel Type Body or Other Small Body

rappsy

Reaction score
Hi:

New to UU. First post.

Has anybody made or seen a shortened Tenor neck, maybe with the same amount of frets of a soprano, on a body that is small? I need the larger fret size of the tenor, but don't go very high on the neck and want one to travel with. It doesn't have to have an incredible sound. Just something to practice on that is small, compact and light?

Any ideas where to look?

Thx.

Lenny...

Sounds to me like you're looking for a concert scale uke.

Thanks for replying.

I have a concert and it is better for my fingers than the soprano, but I want the small size body with the tenor fret size neck even if the amount of frets is the same as a soprano. For practicing, this would be fine. I travel and want to bring it with me.

How could the neck be shorter, but have the same distance between frets? I guess if the saddle were near the very bottom of the instrument?

To achieve what you want I can suggest two options:
1. Kanlea, islander, or other uke in concert size with 1.5" nut. That will give you slightly more distance between strings to give you room for your fingers.
2. Pepe Romero Daniel Ho Tiny Tenor - has a tenor length neck but is designed so that the overall size is similar to a concert to make it easier for travel.

Some tenors have a twelve fret join at the neck. the length is a little shorter than with a 14 fret join.

I made a cigar box uke with a tenor neck. It ended up about 24 in long. Doesn't put out a lot of sound but I keep it at the office to plink around on when Im just sitting here doing nothing. Maybe you could build something like that.

Sounds like you need a Risa stick....

I made a cigar box uke with a tenor neck. It ended up about 24 in long. Doesn't put out a lot of sound but I keep it at the office to plink around on when Im just sitting here doing nothing. Maybe you could build something like that.

This intrigues me. Do you have some pix? What would you charge to build another?

I agree with Phil above I was going to recommend either the Ohana CK 35L super concert or the SK 30L tenor neck soprano. both have same very comfortable full tenor neck. The soptano with tenor neck fits a concert case. I just bought a Romero creations "Tiny Tenor" and love it but it is a more expensive ukulele than you were probably looking for. It plays and sounds like a tenor but is the overall length of a concert. First class build quality.
Bob DuBos

I'll take some pics tomorrow and try to,post them. As far as making another, I'm lucky that this one actually came out playable. I doubt I could be that lucky again. I'm not a luthier just like to tinker in the shop. Maybe one of the guys that builds cigar boxes could do it for you.

Gibson tenors have a 12th fret join, and are markedly shorter than most. They also tend to sound fantastic.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and try to,post them. As far as making another, I'm lucky that this one actually came out playable. I doubt I could be that lucky again. I'm not a luthier just like to tinker in the shop. Maybe one of the guys that builds cigar boxes could do it for you.

I did find some on Etsy that looked rather nice. All sizes and shapes. I'll go on YouTube to see if I can hear some as well. Thanks.

I agree with Phil above I was going to recommend either the Ohana CK 35L super concert or the SK 30L tenor neck soprano. both have same very comfortable full tenor neck. The soptano with tenor neck fits a concert case. I just bought a Romero creations "Tiny Tenor" and love it but it is a more expensive ukulele than you were probably looking for. It plays and sounds like a tenor but is the overall length of a concert. First class build quality.
Bob DuBos

Thanks Bob. The Ohana sounds like it may do the job. I looked at the Tiny Tenor, butit's more than I want to go for a take along, knock around uke. Thanks for the advice.

Sounds to me like you want an Ohana SKL 30 A long necked soprano with, not a concert neck, but a tenor neck. Not sure you can get one from any other mass maker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS8WLY0aFaY

Thanks for the advice. This is the first time I have heard of this Uke. I just had a look on YouTube. It looks like it fits the bill. Does anyone have an idea what the length and width is compared to a traditional Tenor? I can't seem to find specs on this model, even on the Ohana site?

Top Bottom