PDA

View Full Version : Problem with new Kanile'a K1 (leak, photo attached)

giorgiofox
04-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Hello,
I've bought a new beautiful K1 Kanilea from a very good local vendor,
but during quality inspection my vendor has found two light crack or leak near the bridge, in the UV paint (seem) only.
After some day my vendor has shipped me the ukulele, waiting for my final decision.
EDIT: the correct term is "hairline" I think...

Here detailed photos:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/usr7mnsp8xkz5xw/NwQLaF8ejW

My vendor offered me three option:

1)keep this K1, waiting for a new one, and when received the new one, send back the "cracked" one, need to wait about 10-20 days.

2)keep this K1 having a big discount on the price (about 3-400 euro)

3)full refund

On this instrument there is a MI-SI pickup installed.

I've really appreciated the kindness of my vendor, and I want a K1, so I have to make the final decision: keep this or wait for a new one?

What you think about this crack? may dangerously expand in the future?
I can't establish if the cracks are in the UV paint or wood, seem only in the paint.. I really like the wood's grain of this model.
This instrument sound very well, no sounding problem at all due the cracks..

I will really appreciate knowing what you think about.
Maybe someone had this problem with a K in the past?

Thanks in advance,
Giorgio

stevepetergal
04-09-2014, 12:17 PM
They both look like finish flaws to me. They don't really follow the grain lines, though the one on the bass side does look pretty bad. I wouldn't keep it. If there's a problem in the polyester, it won't get better. If there's a crack in the wood (possible here) it's unacceptable. This is what warranties are for. Kanile'a would want you to return it.

mm stan
04-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Looks pretty serious to send back...

Doc_J
04-09-2014, 01:05 PM
I agree with Steve and Stan. Get a different one, so that is option 1).

anthonyg
04-09-2014, 01:39 PM
If I could establish that It was just a finnish flaw I would probably keep it and take the discount but if its in the wood its a flaw that will only get worse with age. Try shinning a torch light at the flaw and look for light on the inside of the instrument. Or hold a small torch inside the body and look for light coming through. A darkened room would be best.

Anthony

hawaii 50
04-09-2014, 02:17 PM
I am pretty sure it is a finish flaw....I would return it and get one that is perfect... UV Polyester finish is super strong and one that has no problems will probably stay that way for a long while...

if you wanted to save 400.00 you would of bought a high end Cordoba/Pono or a non-Hawaiian uke...
so I say get a perfect Kanile'a and go on from there...

my 2 cents

Dan Uke
04-09-2014, 02:29 PM
The savings is non-existent and you will still lose money if you ever sell it as most people will not want to buy a uke with a flaw like that. As much as you love it, I'm sure you can buy another Kanilea just as good without the flaw.

PhilUSAFRet
04-09-2014, 03:35 PM
I bought a used K1 that had a 3" crack in the UV finish between the bridge and the sound hole and a quarter sized spot of fairly deep bracelet rash on the soundboard. It was advertised as "flawless"...it was not. Boy did I get trashed for returning it.

perep
04-09-2014, 04:18 PM
WOW beautiful koa on that one, will you get as good looking koa on another?
I would get discount & keep it after a luthier looks at it . What was the price NEW there?

coolkayaker1
04-09-2014, 05:11 PM
I agree with SPG, NGD, MMS, H50 and Hodge, who agreed with them first.

giorgiofox
04-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks so much,
I will return this and wait for new one, hoping that the grain will be similar..

Thanks again
Giorgio