Binding and purfling rebate routing jig

Paul Henneberry

Reaction score
Howdee,
I have recently completed my first three scratch built ukes (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?93820-The-heaviest-saprano-ever) and I thought I might share some information about the probably over the top jigs and tools that I made as the need arose during the project. In all cases I started by mining the wealth of knowledge that had already been freely shared through this forum but in most cases I came up with my own method of producing the jigs. The tools and materials that I had available usually played a big part in the method that I came up with.
I have already covered how I made radius dishes
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?94298-a-new-way-of-making-a-radius-dish
And how I cut fret slots
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?94388-fret-slot-cutting-with-a-circular-saw
So moving right along: routing rebates for binding and purfling:
For those of you who are new to the wonderful world of uke making and who are maybe wondering why this step is so complicated it is usual to bend the uke back and soundboard into a curve or hemisphere. Some makers go a bit tighter but I built these ukes with a 15’ radius back and a 25’ radius soundboard. This has acoustic benefits but it means that even the small flat base of a laminate trimmer could rock and cut at a strange angle if sat on the curve so you need some way of isolating the router from the curve while still cutting a rebate with a depth referenced to the surface and there are plenty of threads about the approach that I adopted already on the UU.
There isn’t anything revolutionary about this jig apart from maybe the linear bearings. For those not familiar with this technology they are not a bronze bush or anything so primitive. They are a ball bearing race designed to slide axially along a polished steel shaft. I can’t think of a good way of describing the mechanism apart from to say that the shaft is supported at all times on about 60 tiny steel balls and that these balls run in a race. There are maybe 150 of these balls running in 5 races. Long and the short, for our purposes there is no play and almost no friction when you mount them in a group of 4 as shown on the jig. The shafts are 16mm and the tower is made from 6mm and 8mm phenolic sheet. I purchased the shafts, bearings and standoffs from an Australian ebay retailer for about $100. The friction is so low that I quickly realised that I needed a counter weight. The total weight of the trimmer and carriage was about 2 kg and I thought that was a bit high over the small contact area where the rub block contacts the uke sound board or back so the counter weight is about 1.5kg. I had a 3 wing 25mm diameter rebate router bit and I turned up a series of sleaved bearings to produce the different rebates for the purfling and binding.
With this type of jig and operation you usually see some method of holding the body and levelling the surface that is being routed. I didn’t go to that much trouble for these ukes although I will next time. As seen in the photo I decided to keep the sides vertical by capturing the body in a shallow mold which was fine when routing the soundboard where the sides are perpendicular to the surface. Aware that the back is tapered I thought that the floating action of the router would ride with the height which it did. The slight problem is that the bit is cutting on a leading or trailing edge when routing the waist area which makes for some strange geometry resulting in a slightly not flat bottom rebate. Not a big problem (which a scrapper cleaned up) but I will be levelling both the SB and back next time. The accuracy and crispness of the rebate was excellent without any tear out on any of the woods I was cutting into. The Makita 3701 laminate trimmer is a great trimmer but it lacks a fine depth adjustment which is something I will have to work on. The first photo is a bit of a mock up after the event and if you look closely you will see that I have started gluing the fibre lines in.
I’m posting this information about the techniques that I came up not with to be critical of other methods or say that this is better but only to get people to consider developing their own methods based on what they have available or feel comfortable with.
Cheers
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_20130621_060100.jpg
    IMG_20130621_060100.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20130621_060127.jpg
    IMG_20130621_060127.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20130621_060146.jpg
    IMG_20130621_060146.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN0252.jpg
    DSCN0252.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN0257.jpg
    DSCN0257.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
id never thought to use the mold itself as a carriage while routing! Great idea!!!

Your routing machine looks great- i think lmi have gone for a similar two rod design

Looks nice and sturdy. That phenolic is nasty to work with but it sure is tough and stable when you're done.

And is that a pin I see for pin routing? If so, one mod you may want to consider is mounting a drill chuck under the table to hold variable sized pins. The option of micro adjustments between the bit and the pin opens up lots of possibilities. I've made 3 different pin routers and use them a lot.

Hello again,
I'm wondering if I got my geometrical terminology correct although I guess you all know what I meant. Is a section sliced of a sphere a hemisphere or is a hemisphere a 1/2 sphere? If not what do you call a it?
cheers

Paul

Nice build paul...The problem routing the waist area on the back can be solved using a half ball shape (Doughnut) bearing pad on the underside ... Like this one on the Stewmac version...I have made a few of these for builders with no problems.

Love the idea Paul. I now have another project to add to the list. Many thanks
Ken, could you pls give us an idea of the dimensions of the doughnut? It would save a few hours of experimentation. Thanks in anticipation
Miguel

Love the idea Paul. I now have another project to add to the list. Many thanks
Ken, could you pls give us an idea of the dimensions of the doughnut? It would save a few hours of experimentation. Thanks in anticipation
Miguel
There are no fixed dimensions it depends on cutter diameters and router base ...but the radius is not critical it wants to be about 3-4 inch.... it is the 3/32" land around the base that does the job...The doughnut can be Nylon..Delrin..Teflon or a hardwood..it just has to glide easily around the ukulele.
something like this.

Some photos here ..http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ng-My-Binding-Router&highlight=swivel+bracket

Last edited:
Hi Ken,
thanks for your reply. It doesn't have a pin router function. I'm only vaguely familiar with pin routers and the only ones I have seen are big cast iron machines. Maybe you could enlighen me ( and others I'm sure) as to what you have built and when you use it.

cheers

Paul

Hi Ken,
thanks for your reply. It doesn't have a pin router function. I'm only vaguely familiar with pin routers and the only ones I have seen are big cast iron machines. Maybe you could enlighen me ( and others I'm sure) as to what you have built and when you use it.

cheers

Paul

I won't hijack the thread. I'll try to start a new one when I get a chance to get some photos together. It's just a more flexible way to pattern cut. Varying the size of the pin opens up lots of options such as using your outside pattern to make bending forms that are smaller than the outside mold by the thickness of the sides. I use for routing bridge slots, rosettes, some inlays and a few other things.

Unfortunately, the photos of the jig seem to have been lost/removed. Paul, could you please re-post these as I'm about to embark on this project and would appreciate being able to use yours as a guide. Thanks in anticipation
Miguel

Hi,
Don't know what happened to the photo's? I didn't take them down, do the photo's in old posts have a use by date? I couldn't find the originals so I took some more. If there is any particular detail you would like a picture of let me know. Since I loaded this original thread I used the jig on four more bodies and it worked beautifully. As I mentioned I intended to level the back before rebating and how I achieved this is shown in the picture. The mould is just one of my regular body moulds with a block under one edge to level the back. Easy and successful. Hope that helps, if there is any information you would like, let me know.
cheers
Paul

Attachments

• SAM_1860.jpg
    SAM_1860.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 38
  • SAM_1859.jpg
    SAM_1859.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 38
  • SAM_1858.jpg
    SAM_1858.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 37