Mobius Strap - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Great review, Barry.

Devilishly simple design--well said. Especially on what looks to be a tenor in your photo.

I like the strap, but have to admit that, while it technically fits on a soprano sized ukulele (as the designer has demonstrated himself), I find it pesky and in the way on a smaller bodied instrument (the strap width takes up a larger portion of the soundboard on a smaller uke, and is even closer to the soundhole and areas that I might be picking/strumming at times).

I also find the strap nylon to be rather abrasive and wonder if, used a couple hours a day for several months, particularly as it always hits and rubs the same spot on the instrument (especially the sharp soundboard-to-side 90 degree angle in front) if it would wear the wood of the ukulele (I have never tried it for that length of time, so this is pure conjecture). I saw a gentleman in a video once use 2-3 bandanas, tied end to end, in a method similar to this strap, and it seemed to work and would be less abrasive on the instrument, perhaps. I wonder if the inventor of this reviewed strap would consider a less "pebbly" nylon, something softer (uke leash, for instance, contacts the uke only at the headstock and offers a soft sleeve option over the nylon). Although the designer would likely say he's never heard of damage from the strap, I would contend that it might be a perception of a user/potential customer that it might (it is my perception, at least).

It is something one should consider if they do not wish for a button hole in their ukulele. It is an alternative to the uke leash, which is a great product, also.

Your review will hopefully introduce this option to others, Barry. Enjoyable reading, as always.

Last edited:
Re the rubbing - I would have thought no less than a sound hole hook would, or a standard button strap would from the base and round the edge of the uke?

Top Bottom