what give a uke bark?

Swampy Steve

Reaction score
I had the kiwaya sop. all laminate model , a few yrs ago. It was loud and had what I refer to as "bark" I don't know how else to say it.
I worked with a guy who had a lot of ukes and heard the bark of the Koakoha , concert he had, and a I think Nunes Old uke he had, it was almost unplayable and he had it as a wall hanger. It barkedthough

his fav, and what he does his shows with is a old martin sop, which to me didn't sound as good as the others he had. Hes Buddy Griffin, you may have heard of him or not. Hes really good,

sorry back to question,,, what gets the bark?
super light bracing?
the tonewood on soundboard?

or, maybe the folks who really know don't want to say , and I can understand that, if they are uke builders
any thoughts.

What gives a uke bark? In a word: dogs.

Kidding, Steve. I have heard bark used in both negative and positive connotations, so one man's bark is another man's bite, it seems. It's sort of like asking, "what makes a foreign sports car vrooming?" or "what makes jewelry blingy?" Hard to explain, but we know it when we see it.

I guess I can't answer your question (although others will say strings, topwoods, vintage vs. new, the play method, etc., I think "bark" is really in the user's ear).

Cheers, and keep searching for that ultimate (barky, if you're into that; I am.) uke. :)

Last edited:
The Cedar top on my Kala travel Tenor. You can hear it in the next county.

This uke has bark

Boxwood. The bark hangs on really well - so it has bark and sustain.Bridge, bark.jpg
Click on pic for larger image.

I think the bark comes from the soprano's body. The sound reflects that way. I love the bark you get from sopranos. Aaarf!

that's what I WAS THINKING TOO. most better quality sopranos I've owned seem to have it. Martin, Favilla, Kiwaya

that's what I WAS THINKING TOO. most better quality sopranos I've owned seem to have it. Martin, Favilla, Kiwaya
Yes indeed those older sopranos really seem to have a pronounced bark. Perhaps it's more with the Martin 0 shape bodies. The Ohana SK-38 and SK-35 have a nice bark as well.

Yes indeed those older sopranos really seem to have a pronounced bark. Perhaps it's more with the Martin 0 shape bodies. The Ohana SK-38 and SK-35 have a nice bark as well.

Is it really the soprano body size? Or, is it the short scale length? Or, maybe the string tension?

Personally, I think it's a combination of all three.

Just tuning up to D tuning (which increases string tension) adds volume and projection (bark?). Most uke players in the 20's & 30's did that to be heard while playing with others....

My two fvorite ukes at the moment have that "bark"...Black Bear cigar box and David Newton Honduran mahogany soprano. Just put Fremont Blacklines on the DN and it is muy bark!

Top Bottom