What's your choice in a Low G string

Icelander53

Reaction score
And why? I have a LaBella on my Fluke and I love that it makes no noise when played. However I'm not sure I'm in love with the sound of it.

My favorites so far (on my Flea) are Fremont Blackline and Orca. Depending on how the strings are packaged, you can either get a full low G set, or have to buy the G individually. I get mine from Uke Republic, and many others sell them.

Does your Fluke have the polycarbonate or wood fretboard? If wood, you have more options.

Fremont Soloist flatwound, or Savarez Red high tension guitar wound D string. The former is nearly squeakless, and sounds great; the latter has an audible squeak but a louder, clearer tone. Never been fond of any of the low G strings sold in sets - I always mix and match.

The Fremont soloist flatwound and the low g that southcoast make. Both seem quite similar. For me, 3rd and 4th strings need to be wound.

Right now I am falling in love with the tone and volume from the Southcoast HML-RW set. They woke up a uke I had stopped playing.

I haven't tried their squeak less version yet (and am still getting used to playing with squeaks) so my favorite non wound ones are the Worth Low g, PhD, and Living Water.

I have been using the LaBella polished wound classical guitar string.
Great balance with the flouro-carbons.
No need to modify the nut so I can switch between high/low g.

My favorites so far (on my Flea) are Fremont Blackline and Orca. Depending on how the strings are packaged, you can either get a full low G set, or have to buy the G individually. I get mine from Uke Republic, and many others sell them.

Does your Fluke have the polycarbonate or wood fretboard? If wood, you have more options.

I have the wood fretboard.

"What's your choice in a Low G string?"

Ooo, that just leads to something prurient.... Google "low G string" images and see what I mean...

Right now I am falling in love with the tone and volume from the Southcoast HML-RW set. They woke up a uke I had stopped playing.

I haven't tried their squeak less version yet (and am still getting used to playing with squeaks) so my favorite non wound ones are the Worth Low g, PhD, and Living Water.

I love the SC RW's too but Dirk needs to start a String Club. They are expensive.

I use Worth clears on my Kanile'a tenor, no wound strings, no squeaks.

I love the SC RW's too but Dirk needs to start a String Club. They are expensive.

I know. That is why I have not tried the flat wound yet. I have not heard any sound samples or seen many reviews, and at $18 a pop, I am gun shy. I always buy at least two or three sets of strings at a time to save on shipping (admittedly not a concern with Southcoast since they include shipping in the price).

Thomastik-Infeld CF30 chrome flat wound classical guitar string. Really nice sound with clear attack, almost squeakless, and lasts at least 2 to 3 times longer than other wound strings I've tried (which goes a little way towards offsetting the price).

I've yet to find any unwound low-G that isn't too "snappish" for me.

John

Right now, my choice is the Fremont Soloist "squeakless polished" wound low-G. You know it's there but it doesn't overwhelm the other strings. Plus, you don't have to worry about it not fitting in the nut slot, and it comes as a single string, which saves $$.

Was visiting my son-in-law and his red Aquilla had snapped, so I went to the local music store and bought a salverez classical D string as they had no low G tenor sets, and it sounded very nice.

I'm using a Savarez KF95 single harp string. It's unwound and fits fairly well with the Alliance sets I'm using. Not perfect, but I just can't hack the wound strings and how they grind on the frets.

I want to add an endorsement of Aquila Red low G & then, since it's been 24 hours since the last post in this thread, I'll list the strings mentioned as liked or being used by those posting. This was not a poll, & the fact someone posts a message about ukulele strings surely sets him/her apart from ... well, just apart.

Cited were:

LA Bella - 2 times
Fremont - 5
Orca
Savarez guitar D & K95 Harp - 3
South coast -3
Worth -2
Thomas-Infeld CF30 guitar
PhD
Living Water
Aquila Red -3

I should mention that my tenor low G Red (old stock) recently broke & I used a wound baritone D from a Nylgut set. Not bad on a laminate. Tension is just right for me.

I would love to try any of the strings above - but, in the short term, not all of them. Fremont, sounds good & looks available, & Thomastik-Infeld is in a local store. I am going to guess, Oldephart, that they have made some progress in flatwounds since I tried them on my 00-18 in the '60s, so I'd like to try them. I'm getting a better tenor, so will wait for that.

Meanwhile I got some strings in the mail today (the new low Gs, from Elderly, are dated 3/2014), & have started a baritone 3 & 4 Red watch. Very pleased 4 hours in.

Another vote for the Fremont Soloist low G. I like it with darn near any FC strings on 1-3. My preferences are a Fremont Blacklines, Oasis, or Savarez.

Top Bottom