WTB: Kiwaya KTS-4, 5 or 6

FYI, there is a factory second KTS-5 listed on eBay.

Julie, I have bought a Kiwaya uke, and I always buy my Fremont Blacklines strings, from lucysukulele. She is lovely, fast shipping and kind. In tha past, she has offered a small discount for sales not on eBay, so you might google her and contact to see if direct pricing is even less. Her prices are reasonable, and that second that Eddie spotted May well be for you.

Thanks guys! That one already has a bid but I'll see if I can contact Lucy to see what she says. :)

HMS offers good prices on Kiwaya if you are willing to go new. Another possibility for you is Fernandez Music. He is primarily a spanish guitar importer and luthier but he also does Kiwaya and has all KTS models in stock. Search on his name and Kiwaya and give him a ring.

A KTS-4 or KTS-7 (yeah, I know it's a big premium for the bling, but oh man, I love the look of the KTS-7) is definitely in my future. I've bid on several used ones but haven't nabbed one yet.

I've also been checking new prices... The only real difference between the 3 models is the extra bling and extended fretboards right? Otherwise, they are all the same. The KTS-6 speaks to me most as far as looks. I already have a KS-5, which is very plain, so I wouldn't mind having another with a little extra decoration :)

They don't have a very e-commerce friendly site, but a couple years back when I was considering a Kiwaya longneck soprano I spoke with Ron at Fernandez Music and his prices were quite good. Looks like he may have a KTS-6 and it says "call for special price."

(And to clarify, in case anyone was wondering - I ended up not buying a Kiwaya at the time, because I opted for a custom instead. But I've loved every Kiwaya I've encountered and would not hesitate to buy one if the time was right - they are fantastic ukes!)

My understanding is that there are many different species of trees called mahogany. The KTS-7 specifies Honduran Mahogany whereas the other models don't specify which particular type. Does it matter? I have no idea but since I haven't heard anyone say they heard a distinct difference in the KTS 5, 6 or 7 models, I suspect not. I have seen a few comments from people who actually preferred the KTS4 sound and given the fretboard difference, I might expect there to be a more noticeable difference with that vs. the others (though very possibly not discernible to my newbie ears!).

My understanding is that there are many different species of trees called mahogany. The KTS-7 specifies Honduran Mahogany whereas the other models don't specify which particular type. Does it matter? I have no idea but since I haven't heard anyone say they heard a distinct difference in the KTS 5, 6 or 7 models, I suspect not. I have seen a few comments from people who actually preferred the KTS4 sound and given the fretboard difference, I might expect there to be a more noticeable difference with that vs. the others (though very possibly not discernible to my newbie ears!).

I've owned a few KTS4s, a couple of KTS7s and a KMS-K. The best sounding by far were the KTS4s. I think it's the lack of bling and short fretboard meaning the soundboard vibrates better. They sounded louder an more open.

I love Kiwayas but have always sold them in favour of a Martin. Martins have a deeper sound.

@Mattyukaholic thank you for your insight. It's great to hear from someone who has experience with the two models I'm interested in since I only have experience with the KS-5. Regarding your comment about selling them in favor of Martins. Are you talking vintage Martins or new ones? I would rather have a newer instrument than a vintage one. I guess I'm afraid that something old might split, crack or otherwise spontaneously combust. :) I also have a real fixation right now on how easy my KS-5 is to play because the action is so low. I want that same experience on another uke that isn't a laminate.

Thanks for the links! I will probably pull the trigger on a new KTS-4 unless someone offers to sell a used one at a significantly better price. :)

@Mattyukaholic thank you for your insight. It's great to hear from someone who has experience with the two models I'm interested in since I only have experience with the KS-5. Regarding your comment about selling them in favor of Martins. Are you talking vintage Martins or new ones? I would rather have a newer instrument than a vintage one. I guess I'm afraid that something old might split, crack or otherwise spontaneously combust. :) I also have a real fixation right now on how easy my KS-5 is to play because the action is so low. I want that same experience on another uke that isn't a laminate.

I found the Martins have a much fuller sound with a deeper sound. Both new and vintage Martins. The new cherry and mahogany style 3 ukes are the best new ukuleles I have played (even vs Collings etc.) They're much more expensive than the Kiwayas though. The Kiwayas I've had were brilliant but always sounded 'tight' vs the open Martin sound.

I do think for the price though that the KTS4 is the best sounding uke by far in it's price range if you want that Martin old time sound. They're so comfortable to play too - low action, smooth as butter fretboard.

Argh... Mattyukaholic, now you have me thinking about a Martin. Darn you ;) Thanks for all your info!

Argh... Mattyukaholic, now you have me thinking about a Martin. Darn you ;) Thanks for all your info!

You should definitely listen for yourself if at possible. Some people actually prefer the Kiwaya sound (I believe Ken Middleton would be one such example if I recall correctly). And FrankB has posted about his experience about some very telling differences of particular new Martin ukes of the same style. Besides, Matty has a self-acknowledged bad case of Martins-rule-the-world-itis. ;-)

If you can't listen before you buy, buy both from reputable dealers who offer a 24 hour approval period and then return the one you prefer the least of the two.

Unfortunately I don't live very close to any stores that have a large selection of new or vintage ukuleles of the brands I'm interested in.

Unfortunately I don't live very close to any stores that have a large selection of new or vintage ukuleles of the brands I'm interested in.

You can order from HMS for the Kiwaya and, I believe, Guitar Center for the Martin. Both, I believe, have brief evaluation periods and if you let them know you're returning it before that window is up (usually 24-48 hours), and you return it unblemished, then you're only out the shipping.

You should definitely listen for yourself if at possible. Some people actually prefer the Kiwaya sound (I believe Ken Middleton would be one such example if I recall correctly). And FrankB has posted about his experience about some very telling differences of particular new Martin ukes of the same style. Besides, Matty has a self-acknowledged bad case of Martins-rule-the-world-itis. ;-)

If you can't listen before you buy, buy both from reputable dealers who offer a 24 hour approval period and then return the one you prefer the least of the two.

It is true :) I do think Martin rule the world, at least in terms of sound for me, but I did come to that conclusion the hard way having owned many Kiwayas. I still think Kiwayas are great, I just prefer the Martin sound.

It's worth having a look at PeteyHoudini's excellent videos on YouTube.

I'm not knocking Kiwayas at all. I honestly think for the cost (way less than a new Nazareth Martin) the KTS4 is an incredible uke. I know some people have had issues with the modern Martins but that is the same with all production ukes. I've sent a KTS7 back before because the intonation was awful.

Anyways, have sent the OP a pm with a bit of advice should you go Martin.

Top Bottom