What is a F2 and G2 chord?

alaaji

Reaction score
I saw this written in some tabs for a song and I couldn't figure out what they were and how you would do it on a ukulele. I searched this board and did a google search but all I came up with were the fingerings for a guitar.

Can someone help me here? Or do I need some more music theory?

Fsus2, Gsus2: F suspended 2 (0013), G suspended 2 (0230). There are other positions.

Sus2 means that you suspend the third. The F major chord is spelled F A C (scale degrees: 1 3 5); the Fsus2 is spelled F G C (1 2 5). The third (A) is suspended and replaced by the second (G). Sus2 chords have an unresolved, floating quality and can add a nice touch to an arrangement. They sound big, but undefined.

Thanks stackabones! :worship: Why didn't they just write Fsus2 and Gsus2? I could have found that in no time.

Here is another question because I don't have this on my chord chart. How do you do a Gsus?

Thanks stackabones! :worship: Why didn't they just write Fsus2 and Gsus2? I could have found that in no time.

Here is another question because I don't have this on my chord chart. How do you do a Gsus?

I don't know why. Chord naming can vary by country and tradition. For example, we usually just write a C for C major and Cm for C minor, but some will write CM for C major and Cm for C minor. I have a book on Gypsy Jazz that is translated from the French and the chord conventions are just a little different than what I'm used to seeing in American fake books.

I've seen songbooks (usually hymnals) that do things like Emsus2 (E minor suspended 2), which doesn't really make sense. Sometimes bizarre chord names are just a result of music illiteracy.

Gsus could be Gsus2 or Gsus4. Check out the melody line, which sometimes offers a clue (if the melody is on an A, then Gsus2; if on a C, then Gsus4). That's not always going to be true, so try out both and trust your ear for the better fit. Always trust your ear.

Why didn't they just write Fsus2 and Gsus2?
Because that's not what they are. F2 and G2 refer to Fadd2 and Gadd2 (which are the same notes as Fadd9 and Gadd9, just ideally an octave lower on the added note).

Last edited:
Because that's not what they are. F2 and G2 refer to Fadd2 and Gadd2 (which are the same notes as Fadd9 and Gadd9, just ideally an octave lower on the added note).

Oh, yeah, I've seen that as well. Drives me batty! Add2?!?! It's add9!!! :mad: :D ;)

More than one way to skin a cat!

Wow! That clears up a lot. I never knew that add2 and add9 were the same. Thanks for the link too. That is really helpful. Now, that I have all the proper fingerings for the notes, I just have to figure out the right strum.

Top Bottom