NUD - Kala KA-STG from HMS

Sporin

Reaction score
Kala KA-STG from Hawaii Music Supply, setup with Worth Brown Low G strings and the K&K Twin Spot pickup.

First impression is that it's very light, definitely lighter than the older Islander laminate that it replaced.

The glossy finish is flawless, and assembly and over all fit and finish appears to be perfect as well. No wonky gaps or extra glue. The laminate mahogany back and sides has a really lovely grain and a very warm color. The solid spruce top looks so "clean" (that's the best word I can think of). The black and white accents really set the bright spruce and the rich mahogany colors off perfectly.

And the SOUND!!! Wow! I had a pretty good idea of what to expect going in but it really is incredible sounding, you can really feel and hear that top vibrating.

HMS's setup is, as expected, excellent, with easy playing up and down the neck. I love the strings (had them on my other uke) and they seem to strike a nice balance with the spruce top. The sounds is rich but not brash. It's actually quite loud.

I'll have to get my amp out to see how the pickup works but I'm sure it's great. HMS's pickup video was really helpful in helping me choose.

This is only my 3rd Uke, so despite my compulsiveness for potential UAS, my limited funds have kept me in check. ;)

I enjoyed my Islander but wanted to step up to a solid top. The tie bridge and narrower neck were also things I was looking for in my next uke.

After much research, and after all the great reviews of the new Kala's, this was my pick. Price was very reasonable and I sold my Islander quickly making the order happen asap.

Pictures!

7iZ5yT0.jpg

HdToHu9.jpg

o3bg6Er.jpg

Congrats, that is a beauty........I like it. I do enjoy seeing some grain in a spruce top, makes it more interesting. I have played the concert at a couple different stores and liked the sound of everyone of them. As you say, great projection and volume. Enjoy your new lovely

congrats....I think Kala just keeps getting better every year....

Been playing a TON since I got this as I had a few jams and open mics scheduled and it just keeps sounding sweeter to my ear as I adjust to it. Really happy with this purchase.

Congrats. Worths and a twin spot right out of the gate!

Looks like the only thing you have to do is play it.

Enjoy

worth browns + spruce tops + tenor is a winning combo in my book

Congratulations! I got the concert version from HMS as my first uke, and I'm still really happy with it.

Top Bottom