A reflection after a couple of days with 5 strings

sirwhale

Reaction score
Hi

I've had my 5 string tenor for a few days now and it's had a lot of play. I'd to share my thoughts on how it works with the songs we play and compare to other's experiences. Here's what I have found:

My new instrument is lovely, very resonant, great intonation, great tone, volume and sustain. It is the best ukulele I own. The only trouble (a lesson learnt too), would be that the string width seems to be standard and I'm used to my 4 string tenor which has much more space and is hence, for me, easier to play. Now with the extra string the space between the low g and the C string is slightly less than normal. I've had to adjust my playing for this but if I could go back in time it is something I would have specified for my custom build.

Holding down two strings is much more effort and I find that instead of holding down the other three courses lightly I tend to push with the same pressure across all strings and so my fingers are hurting a lot more and I find playing more tiring. You have tobe more accurate with the paired strings, as one is quite thicker than the other it can be easy for you to think that you are pressing down sufficiently only for one of the two to buzz on the fret.

In a lot of ways it works with many songs as I expected; I hear the drone of high G when playing lots of finger picking while the low g appears to "glue the rest of the song together" in the background. This is ecpecially the case for when I am using the 4th course as a bass string and i have found it works well with playing blues; it adds a unique and intersting sound to the song. Sometimes, when playing my linear-tuned tenor, I've thought that it could just be a small guitar, with the 5 string arrangement it's now strictly something else.

I've found that it also has some 8-string flavour, as my girlfriend pointed out that it sometimes sounds like there are two ukuleles playing at once. Strumming is much fuller, surprisingly so for the addition of just one extra string.

I had hoped it would add a unique flavour to clawhammer; it is definitely unique, but I'm not sure I like it as much as with 4 string reentrant tuning. The octaved sound appears to take over the song a bit too much as apposed to the complementing high g drone. This might be a case of learning to play differently where I catch the 4th course with less force; I'm quite used to playing rough. I've played a couple of classical songs where the melody is in the two bass strings (G and C) and this sounds strange with one octaved course and another course being a single string. When playing songs where the melody is in the treble strings then it can add an interesting edge that is pleasant. Again in this case, if I can describe what I mean well, I find it gives the song a unique ukulele, feel of high reentrant tuning but it includes a bass to fill the song and glue it together, which I, personally, like. When it comes to songs that play melodies across all the strings, songs arranged specifically to take advantage of the high g string, then it can sound interesting. Sometimes good, sometimes interesting, sometimes it doesn't fit, in which case, you can try adjusting your style to hit the high g only, or more softly (which is something I need to start doing!).

I feel that I really need to explore it more, take time to adjust my playing style and learn how to exploit it. Overall, I think 5-string ukuleles are very cool and should probably become more popular with time.

What's your experience?

Last edited:
Hi

You have tobe more accurate with the paired strings, as one is quite thicker than the other it can be easy for you to think that you are pressing down sufficiently only for one of the two to buzz on the fret.

I found the same thing when I got my Kamaka Liliu six string. The octaved A strings being vastly different diameters made it more difficult to fret both cleanly on some chords, especially with the fatter A string being the 1st string. But I didn't find that with the octaved C's. I ended up changing the G from reentrant to low G and strung the A's in unison. This helped immensely and I also liked the sound better. But playing a six string has ultimately helped my playing. You can't get away with sloppy fretting. But the reward is a beautiful, unique full sound that you can't get with a four string. Like anything uke related, it will become easier with time and more playing.

Thank you for an excellent review by being thorough, and understandable. I find a taro patch or a tiple to be easier to play because all strings are at least doubles. There is no awkward mono-tone double-tone variation when picking a run or a melody line. A mandolin makes a wonderful double toned instrument.

You´re very welcome; it is the sort of thing that I wanted to read when I was having trouble deciding if I wanted to buy one or not but couldn´t find much. Luckily, I am not dissapointed at all. I think this new uke will also push me to become a better player where I could be lazier before, so it´s all good. And yes, I´ve definitely thought a lot about get a wide knecked, large bodied, 8 string, strung with courses in unison. One day!

Great comments. Re. clawhammer - try brushing just the outside string with your thumb. I don't play clawhammer but I do a lot of finger rolls and I find that it is pretty easy to brush just the outside string - the low octave doesn't ring at all. In fact, it's pretty easy to strum or drag all the strings and then go into a roll over the top of that where that bass octave just rings and decays until the next strum.

I've had my five string about three or four weeks now, playing it a lot, and I am getting to where I can pick the high-g, low-g, or both at will. Still not perfect on the low-g on faster picking, but I'll get there eventually.

Five string actually happens to be exactly what I was looking for - reentrant on rolls, more full on strums and drags. I suspect the only four-string "tenor" I am going to keep is my Pineapple Sunday (strung reentrant). The others are going to be pretty redundant when my BP 5-string gets here next week. I'm already looking at converting my Pono baritone to 5-string... :)

John

Last edited:
I am interested in this. Can anyone link me to an example of a 5 string being played fingerstyle so I can hear what it sounds like? Thanks!

I am interested in this. Can anyone link me to an example of a 5 string being played fingerstyle so I can hear what it sounds like? Thanks!

It's not really "finger style" but I do some simple finger rolls and strum-then-roll in my video review of the Oschar Schmidt Willie-K five-string in the reviews forum. It's a fairly recent thread so it should still be on the first page in that forum.

EDIT: Here's a link to that review: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...100K-quot-Willie-K-quot-Five-String-Tenor-Uke

John

Last edited:

You can check out the initial short video review I did when I first got mine...

Last edited:
The 5 string is great for some songs that need a fuller strumming sounds but you still want the re-entrant G as well.

Like this one...

Thanks for the vids! I particularly enjoyed the Malaguena. It (the 5 string uke) does seem to have a pretty cool sound.

Yeah, I´m definitely getting the hold of clawhammer now, I have to play lower down, closer to the bridge (I normally play over the fretboard) so that I can rest my thumb slightly under the G string and lift, more than pluck, the string. I think clawhammer definitely has a interesting sound on 5 strings with that hint of bass. I just don´t think I could play clawhammer loudly on this uke as I´d end up bringing out too much Gness which would overpower the other strings. Luckily I have a passive pick up installed...

Top Bottom