Tourist Trap Troop!!!

There are no ABC stores in Waikiki.
yeah there are. there was one right next door to our hotel. but i dont remember if they had any ukuleles. or was it an abc store? aw crap i cant remember now. thanks haole!

There are no ABC stores in Waikiki.

There were tons of them last year. I bought an ukulele book at one. They've even got them in Vegas now. :eek:

Yup, I was just messin' with ya. ;) If you stand in the doorway of one ABC store facing out and look to your left and right, you will see at least one other ABC store. This rule applies to Starbucks in NYC as well.

How are the ABC ukes? Their "deluxe" model was like $30 if I remember correctly; how does it stack up against, say, a Makala?

I'm in!

I recently found a ukulele in my grandmother's closet. It's a Duke Kahanamoku, and the price tag's still on the back. It reads REG $30.40, ABC $25.35. She traveled to Hawaii in the 80's at some point and brought the uke back with her.

It sounds super cheap- when I can get it to stay in tune!

What will we play?

I stood on one ABC store's door and could see 3 others. Granted the one I was standing at was a corner shop... But yeah!

We stayed in an Outrigger hotel about 3 blocks from the beach in Waikiki a couple years ago. We decided to walk to the beach...my wife realized she left her cheapo sunglasses at home, so we stopped in at the ABC Store. We left...remembered we were going to get a couple of bamboo mats to sit on and beach toys for the kids to play with, so we stopped in at the next ABC Store. Moving on, we realized we left the sunscreen, so we stopped at the next ABC Store. All that, and by the time we actually got to the beach we hadn't backtracked or deviated from our original route once...

Any proud owners of the infamous mid-'80s "Lark Ukulele" from Shanghai? String action you can put your finger under, all-laminate pine top and body (no need for bracing, it's that thick) and totally moisture-resistant (it sponges up the moisture and then sheds it again if you put it on top of a heater or stove). Intonation comes closest to those Indian scales you use on a sitar.

What ever happened with the traveling ukulele?
dont change the subject! haha..jk. i dont know wuts up with that either... blame nuke.

I'm in Maui right now and I think i've been to the ABC store at least once everyday. and each time i go, i play with the ukes! the deluxe version is like $40 but i didnt get a chance to play with it cuz theres no display model. didnt wanna rip open the box. I did however go to one local music store here in lahaina. Ok someone tell me this... Why are ukes soo damn expensive in hawaii?!?! da guy tried to sell me an applause tenor for $600!!! MGM is the way to no matter where you stay. :shaka:

Top Bottom