Wound C string?

Kayak Jim

Reaction score
What's your experience with wound C strings? I just noticed Southcoast offers them as I was about to place an order for some Mediums. The promised "more depth and sustain in those registers" is appealing on my concerts (Mainland and Koaloha).

My experience to date with wound strings hasn't been great though. I bought a Kala tenor just to see if I like that scale (I don't) and put a Fremont flat wound on it to see if I like low G (I don't). I find it very boomy, it rings on forever and even vibrates sympathetically when not even plucked.

I know strings are cheap and not difficult to change but without being able to do a side by side comparison I find, by the time the strings have fully settled in, frankly I can't remember exactly how the old strings sounded.

Is a wound C a good option to get a bit more bottom end on a high G uke?

Thanks
Jim B

I figured out myself that I needed a wound C string. This was typically after I put a low g on my tenor and I needed something that could be in balance. After doing my research I came to southcoast and love the linear sets. I don't think I'll ever be able to have an non-wound C string again and I am currently waiting for a re-entrant set with a wound C to put on my concert.

What's your experience with wound C strings? I just noticed Southcoast offers them as I was about to place an order for some Mediums. The promised "more depth and sustain in those registers" is appealing on my concerts (Mainland and Koaloha).

My experience to date with wound strings hasn't been great though. I bought a Kala tenor just to see if I like that scale (I don't) and put a Fremont flat wound on it to see if I like low G (I don't). I find it very boomy, it rings on forever and even vibrates sympathetically when not even plucked.

I know strings are cheap and not difficult to change but without being able to do a side by side comparison I find, by the time the strings have fully settled in, frankly I can't remember exactly how the old strings sounded.

Thanks
Jim B

I think your best bet for more bottom end is still a low G string. You didn't like the first one you tried, but not all strings are created equal. Maybe you should consider a different brand. The low G set I have on one of my concerts is by Aquila, and has two wound strings....the G and the C. I don't find the wound strings to be boomy, at all.

Keep experimenting. Sooner or later you'll find a combination you love....

I've got wound C's on two of my ukes right now; a Mainland mango soprano (hi-G) and a Oscar Schmidt 5-string tenor (octave-G). It's a little strange on the soprano...not bad...but a little different. I kind of like it but I don't know if I'll leave it in that configuration at the next string change. This soprano uke basically got a wound C because shortly after I'd bought some Thomastik-Infeld CF27 chrome flat wound classical guitar strings to try as wound Cs I overstretched the C string when I was putting new strings on the uke.

I put the other wound C that I had on the 5-string tenor because the Aquila strings that came on it had a bad C string (behaved as if it had been overstretched). On the 5-string tenor I definitely like it but I am reserving judgement for whether a wound C will be a regular thing on my five-strings until after I get to spend some time with my BP 5-string that is on the way.

Even on the soprano I definitely like the way that it gets rid of any tendency of the string to be "snappish" or floppy.

John

it's along the lines of "sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't..."

I have wound G & C pairs on two ukes at present, and they can contribute to a better low end. But that's not always what I want, so I have other combinations on other ukes.

My suggestion: but another uke and string it that way. Keep your others strung differently. See? Another good reason to own a ukulele.

It depends on the ukulele, brand of strings and your personal preference....like previous said, try a couple different sets and see if anything suits you...
sometimes it's not all about the string only and how the C string balances and fits in with the other strings....nobody can tell you except your ears if you like it...good luck and happy strummings

Last edited:
I have wound C strings on two concerts (one high and one low g) and on a soprano. A wound C does what Dirk says it will, but whether you will like it or not is another matter. That has to do with what Stan is saying. For me it has worked on some instruments and not on others. You really have to try it yourself to decide. One thing is certain though, wound strings wear out a lot faster, so if you find that you like them you'll probably want to buy some extras to have on hand.

Is it true that wound strings wear out more quickly? That isn't my experience on other instruments (my charango and the guitar's of my family). Why would it be different for a ukulele? All the top charango players always recomendo that the high E strings be changed more frequently than the other strings; the high E strings tend to be the only strings that are not wound (the rest are "microwound"). From what I know, my brother never really changes his strings on his bass and they are all wound.

For anecdotal experience of sound quality. I can easily hear the difference when I change a high E string on my charango for a new one but not really for the wound strings, especially the thicker ones. I don't really see the wear, but I hear the wear...

Last edited:
My understanding is that as nylon/flourocarbon strings get fatter, they can get a bit "clunkier" too, ie. not as much sustain as the thinner strings. On most ukes I think this is an acceptable state of affairs, but a wound C string will give a note with much more sustain and presence than the equivalent non-wound one. This may be something that you like - there's only one way to find out.
I tried it.Yes there was a big difference in sustain and energy; no I did not like it. For me the TONE was too different to the other strings - so much so that I had trouble doing note to note tuning ie. I found it hard to compare the fretted E note on the 4th fret of the wound C string to the open plain E string right next to it. When they were the same pitch they still sounded "different".
Have a go... you may love it...

I just bought a Pono Classic Pro with a low G. Both the C and G strings are wound. The jury is still out, I will play it for a couple of weeks and see if it grows on me.

Never tried a wound C without a wound G. I've read too many posts that the wound C alone does not work well.

Is it true that wound strings wear out more quickly? ...

It depends on the wound strings and what strings you are comparing them to. Most wound ukulele / classical guitar strings have a relatively soft winding material (brass/copper/silver/aluminum are common). These wear much faster than fluorocarbon unwound strings, but only perhaps slightly faster than nylon strings and at about the same rate as the old Aquila Nylgut strings (my fingernails "powdered" the coating on those pretty quickly).

Some wound strings are more rugged - Thomastick-Infeld chrome flat wound, for example - but even they don't last as long as fluorocarbon strings.

The key is not to play any of your strings until they break or are so badly frayed that they start buzzing. There are generally three signs that strings are due for replacement: the tuning won't stabilize, the intonation up the neck becomes worse than when the strings were relatively new, or the tone begins to become "blah." ("Blah" is a highly technical term expressing general dissatisfaction with the current performance of the string.) If any of these three things happen, it's time for replacement.

John

Never tried a wound C without a wound G. I've read too many posts that the wound C alone does not work well.

I read a lot of posts about chemtrails. Doesn't mean they're true. Try it yourself. Far too often, more people post negative rather than positive comments. It's true about everything, not just ukes. We are a species that complains more loudly than we praise.

I bought a bread maker last winter. read hundreds of consumer reviews online. A huge number were negative, about all brands and models. In the end, I decided to stop reading reviews by non-technical folks, or by non-bakers. I bought a machine that has performed flawlessly despite the whinging by some people.

So again: try it yourself. Judge on your own experience.

What did you discover, kayakjim?

I searched UU for this thread bc I have a (used, was new to bearbike1) koa tenor with Southcoasts with a wound C (nylon high G) and overall I really dig it. It's thin and playable., not too much screech on slides, and not overpowering or with any significant drone or over-sustain. It does enhance my low end.

The only thing that I wish was a bit stronger/louder is my A string. That's, of course, our melody string, and I think it's always a tad quiet on all ukes (certainly never a "booming" A). Even though the wound C string is only a bit louder--nothing crazy; I like it--it seems the A string is quieter on this set (my gut says it's a subdued A string problem). Can anyone else who plays wound C relate? Does someone know of a loud "A"? lol In the meantime, I'm adapting my picking pattern to try and pick the A string more substantially when I play. I may contact Dirk for ideas, but anyone here have any? Thanks. (PS The A string looks to be in great condition, no fraying or issues, and the string set is relatively new, this year 2014).

Last edited:
I have a set on one of my ukes and I don't really notice much difference. I'd not do it again. They are Aquila btw.

Thanks
Jim B

I personally wouldn't add a wound C or even if you did low G (i'd do living water non wound's for that).
The wound string is always boomy and over powers the nylon ones.
I felt on my baritone the wound strings always over powered the nylon especially for finger picking
so i tried living water with great results. But if you feel those work for your sound thats cool too
everyone has a different preference. Strings are the most important part of shaping the sound of your
uke, it can't hurt to keep trying new strings and different options until you find the sound that is perfect for you.

My Gypsy Rose concert absolutely loves the Southcoast Mediums with wound C. My Koaloha doesn't.
Have to find YOUR right fit for each instrument. But I certainly wouldn't rule out wound Cs. And I certainly wouldn't ever discount any advice from Dirk -- he wouldn't be making them if they didn't sound great.

My Gypsy Rose concert absolutely loves the Southcoast Mediums with wound C. My Koaloha doesn't.
Have to find YOUR right fit for each instrument. But I certainly wouldn't rule out wound Cs. And I certainly wouldn't ever discount any advice from Dirk -- he wouldn't be making them if they didn't sound great.

Those are the strings that came on my KoOlau tenor. I find the wound C non-offensive. Does it slightly, though, overpower your A string when playing A string melodies, David?

I don't find that it does on this particular uke. Although I think I have compensated perhaps a bit, because I find I use my nails to pick out the melodies on this uke (which I'd not considered until I was thinking about your question). Nonetheless, they are THE strings for this instrument.
However, on my Koaloha it overpowered every other string. Just boomed out. Sounded terrible.

Those are the strings that came on my KoOlau tenor. I find the wound C non-offensive. Does it slightly, though, overpower your A string when playing A string melodies, David?

Top Bottom