Tuning Baritone to A? Can I with Worths?

cdkrugjr

Reaction score
Guys,

After a month with Unwound Reds, I switched my Kala laminate Bari over to Worth Clears. You know how that "Long Enough For Two Sets" thing doesn't really work if you cut the strings too short for the knots to set properly? Right . . .

Anyway, these sound MUCH nicer than the Reds, but I'm wondering if the Worths (and the Kala) would tolerate being tuned up to A?

Has anyone ever taken the Worth Clear Baritone G ("Low D") set and tuned it up to A ("Low E")?

Thanks

Structurally it should be fine. You'll have to try it to decide whether it sounds good and intonates well.

John

Count me as curious about this too. I love Worth strings, but the baritones are too floppy on the low D. So tuning up to low E might be smart.

I love Worth strings, but the baritones are too floppy on the low D.
I've tried numerous plain sets for bari and didn't like any of them because they all felt floppy on the low end. I've been using 2 wound/2 plain and that works wells for me.

I have no problem with all plain low g on a tenor. I'm not terribly fond of wounds, but if you're going to use them, do 2/2 so it's more balanced.

I've tightened my Worth Browns from G toA, though it was on a 19# scale bari. Definitely a more "resonant" sound, but ultimately I stick with G.

IMO, the best sounding bari strings tuned to an A are the Southcoast: HL-SW: Heavy Gauge Linear Set w/ smooth wound basses. I put a set on a friends Martin bari and it opened it up bigtime. I have a set of his classical metal strings on my Webber and will never go back to a nylon string for it again. The sustain and resonance is incredible.

IMO, the best sounding bari strings tuned to an A are the Southcoast: HL-SW
I bought a set of HL-SW from them. The wound strings looked old -- very old. But I installed the SC strings anyhow. The 4th string sound boomy & listless, whether tuned D (linear G) or E (linear A). Maybe I just got an unlucky set. Next I installed a Mya-Moe fluorocarbon bari set & tuned it linear A. Splendid results!

Your mileage may differ.

just ordered a set for reentrant g (high d) never thought if trying to leave dgbe though but the thought of keeping the stamdard dgbe but having the high d seems like a good balance between mellow and that shimmering smaller uke sound.

Last edited:
I have my Bari tuned A, but re entrant, with Southcoast strings. Love the A tuning! It's easy to play in E, with the D shape for the E, one finger for F#m, one finger for A, even B is easy in that tuning.

sorry to be late...

Its brighter, and I like the fingering possibilities. It's not a tuning specific thing, mostly a reentrant specific thing. i tried linear tunings for a while, and they just sounded kind of dead to me. I like linear on a 5 string guitar. The low 4th just sounds like a bad ending place for chords on a Uke to me.

sorry to be late...

Its brighter, and I like the fingering possibilities. It's not a tuning specific thing, mostly a reentrant specific thing. i tried linear tunings for a while, and they just sounded kind of dead to me. I like linear on a 5 string guitar. The low 4th just sounds like a bad ending place for chords on a Uke to me.

5 string guitar?
you mean keith richards custom guitar for open tunings
with out the E string? never actually saw a '5 string' guitar sold anywhere...hmm interesting
unless its a typo and you meant 6.

sorry to be late...

not really sure what you mean. A ukulele literally is a guitar minus the E and A strings on a guitar with a capo on the 7th fret.
All linear does is add a bass punch to the chords, for a lot of things it sounds much fuller. As much as you may not want to except it
tuning, chord wise the ukulele and guitar are pretty damn similar in fact i can't figure out how guitarists have a hard time figuring out the ukulele.
A guy at guitar center yesterday was having trouble 'understanding chords' and i said ok pretend its a guitar that you broke the 6th and 5th strings
with a capo on the 7th fret, all of a sudden he was pulling ukulele chords out of his ass and they were correct.

Point being the intervals are the same their just different keys, being the way the intervals are set its not possible for a low
G to be 'a bad ending place' its math its supposed to end there.

I use a nylon string guitar minus the E string. easier for me. sound wise, I don't like the sound of a low 4th uke. I like the sound of a linear 5 string guitar. It's not math, it is subjective. (BTW A Uke in C is a guitar capo 5)

I'm tempted to argue with you, because it might be fun, but it might get out of hand too. i do enjoy reading your thoughts.

T

I use a nylon string guitar minus the E string. easier for me. sound wise, I don't like the sound of a low 4th uke. I like the sound of a linear 5 string guitar. It's not math, it is subjective. (BTW A Uke in C is a guitar capo 5)

I'm tempted to argue with you, because it might be fun, but it might get out of hand too. i do enjoy reading your thoughts.

T

i don't know I think the sound of a classical
guitar with 6 strings has a nice full sound I prefer
that but hey if somehow u prefer
to play it with out the e string that's
your choice. personally both linear
and reentrant tuned ukes have their place
aka iz and his low g tenor best sound
in the world I don't think any uke fan
can argue that. or Kyle ritz reentrant g tenor
amazing.

Tom, how do the nylon guitar strings compare to say, the Worth fluorocarbons? I would assume nylon guitar strings are a little cheaper than Worth's. (I should probably just spring for some Southcoast Bb bari's at some point).

Top Bottom