1950s takamori and sons kapalai ukulele

toddir58

Reaction score
Aloha , i just got a concert sized kapalai uke ,made in 1954 ,indicated by the stamp inside the soundhole,the builder is takamori and sons from kaneohe,oahu,They made ukes from the 50s-70s It is made with a bamboo nut and fretboard...looks like solid mahagony for the body...Does anybody have any more info other than the obvious online rhetoric.. I have exauhsted google search...This is a keeper for my collection,and I would like to get an idea of it's value,and perhaps locating a tenor sized version.IMAG0310.jpgIMAG0313.jpgFIG]65883[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMAG0308.jpg
    IMAG0308.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
very cool, how's it sound?

I don't think there's any kind of set market value for these, as they're scarce and little-known. To the right person, those factors might make it extremely desirable, but there isn't a big market for them ... at least there wasn't when I sold my Takamori a few years ago. As a piece of Hawaiian ukulele history, though, it's a cool thing. Have fun!

All I could find. Would seem to be extremely collectible: https://sites.google.com/site/ukulelemakers/multi/takamori--son Not even In Tiki King's Ukulele Database.

thanks for the link to lardy's uke database ,that is a new one that is now on my radar...My collection mostly covers the pre-kamaka era 1900-1930.as i have several kumulae's and tabu's,that all play and are in good shape..I just finished my 1930's era kamaka pineapples ,1930s and a 1940s collecting and i just started the 1950's era collection,with a kamaka gold label soprano,a 50s harmony baritone custom 8 string taro patch tuning ,and now this kapalai...which by the way plays super...thanks again for the knowledge

I don't think there's any kind of set market value for these, as they're scarce and little-known. To the right person, those factors might make it extremely desirable, but there isn't a big market for them ... at least there wasn't when I sold my Takamori a few years ago. As a piece of Hawaiian ukulele history, though, it's a cool thing. Have fun!

How much did the kapalai sell for ?,i think i paid $240 with shipping to molokai from california...i'm hoping that i got a good deal...i think i did,the uke plays great.

Aloha, my grandpa made these ukulele. He passed away before I was born so I'm sorry I can't offer more information. All I know is that one of my uncle's tried to continue my grandpa's work but each one he made just didn't have that sound. I have been searching for a couple to purchase as we only have one remaining from him and he gave it to my grandma on my mom's side. Have you noticed if they are more in pawn shops or online? I can't seem to find any through eBay and am uncertain as far as how much he actually produced. Occasionally, people who have kapalai ukulele still stop by my dad's house asking for my grandpa. I'm glad to know people can still enjoy his work.

How much did the kapalai sell for ?,i think i paid $240 with shipping to molokai from california...i'm hoping that i got a good deal...i think i did,the uke plays great.

Sorry for the late reply. You can PM me if you want the numbers, but I will say I paid less than that and sold it at a loss.:( Again, I don't think this was a reflection of its worth as much as a reflection of its obscurity and my impatience to sell. Also, this was about three years ago, and I think the uke market is constantly in flux.

Vintage, Hawaiian made Kapalai-solid spruce top, Koa back and sides
Hello all,

Just took this in on consignment here at the shop. I have seen some posts previously about this maker and thought folks might enjoy seeing some photos of his work. This is a unique style, I actually have a mandolin with the same body shape that I believe was made in Kapalais shop as well.

Spruce top with Koa back and sides and a mahogany neck, this uke has a very warm full sound, perhaps due to the larger top plate and longer scale length (19"). This scale length works as a baritone or tenor. A unique example of mid century local building style here on Oahu.

-Kilin

Last edited by krstringrepair; Today at 10:49 AM.

Aloha, my grandpa made these ukulele. He passed away before I was born so I'm sorry I can't offer more information. All I know is that one of my uncle's tried to continue my grandpa's work but each one he made just didn't have that sound. I have been searching for a couple to purchase as we only have one remaining from him and he gave it to my grandma on my mom's side. Have you noticed if they are more in pawn shops or online? I can't seem to find any through eBay and am uncertain as far as how much he actually produced. Occasionally, people who have kapalai ukulele still stop by my dad's house asking for my grandpa. I'm glad to know people can still enjoy his work.

Aloha Yumichan5,

My Grandfather is Britton Takamori, he is your Uncle you spoke about. I grew up going to your Grandparents house playing at his house. He was an awesome Luthier! I do not believe there are many original Kapalai ukulele's left that are still around. His earlier uke's were one piece shaped body, later, he went to the 2-piece.

Aloha Yumichan5,
Not sure this Thread is still active. I just ran across this due to a ukulele I recently acquired and was hoping on finding information on it. It is a Kapalai by Takamori of Kaneohe with a one piece body and with hard case. From what I read this could be one of your grandfather earlier ukuleles. The only markings I see on the inside are stamped, Hand Made in Hawaii. It looks to me that it’s all made out of Mahogany. Please full free to contact me if you want.
20171124_144014_resized_1.jpg20171124_144024_resized_1.jpg20171124_144050_resized_2.jpg20171124_144113_resized_2.jpg20171124_144221_001_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you for that bit of history. I hope you find more for the family. Perhaps if you have his tools and forms available, you should give building a try. There's lots of support and information here.

hey i have come across a uke i believe was made by your grandfather if you would like to purchase it please text me 8089796967

I have one of your grandfathers ukulele

Call me if you are interested 808-457-2078

Attachments

• 5653A27E-11C6-4AD6-8384-F858AD6F843F.jpg
    5653A27E-11C6-4AD6-8384-F858AD6F843F.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom