Tuning the ukulele

BigBruddahJ

Reaction score
I know I've seen electric tuners for guitars that give a visual indication that certain strings are on pitch. But are there any like these for the ukulele (specifically the GCEA tuning) or can the electric tuners for guitars be "programmed" to the pitches on the ukulele?

Any recommendations?

Any electronic tuner will work. I recommend the Korg CA-30 which is $20. I got one for my mother's ukuleles as well. We've never had any problems and these tuners respond fast.

CA-30-666899227ac090e6d0a220a2908dc206.jpg

I also use the Korg CA30...I love it!

Lately, I've been using the tuner's sound for G, then tuning the rest by ear...then I check back with the tuner to see how I've done. it's become a little game of mine.

I also use the Korg CA30...I love it!

Lately, I've been using the tuner's sound for G, then tuning the rest by ear...then I check back with the tuner to see how I've done. it's become a little game of mine.

ya thats what i do
It helps alot to untune your uke then retune it as well by ear and check with your tuner
if you do it daily you'll be able to tune by ear in no time

yep, and they are readily available at guitar stores all over! you could probably find one near you and get that uke in tune in the next couple of hours!

I got a clip on tuner off eBay for $14 bucks with shipping recently. I love the damn thing. They sell them locally for about $35. Just do a search for ukulele tuner and it should pop up. The guy always has them up.

Any chromatic tuner will do. They still sell guitar-only tuners that just have the six notes for standard guitar tuning in them.

Musicguymic often has a heck of a good deal on the Intelli IMT-500 tuners. They're smaller than the Korg, clip right on your headstock so you can tune even in a noisy environment, and I got it from him for about the same as you'd pay for one of the Korgs. Check out MGM's eBay store or call him.

I like the idea of tuning one string with the tuner, tuning the rest by ear and then checking again with the tuner. Sounds like a good ear-training method.

I like the idea of tuning one string with the tuner, tuning the rest by ear and then checking again with the tuner. Sounds like a good ear-training method.

thats what i tend to do. i know i won't always have a tuner around all the time.

Musicguymic often has a heck of a good deal on the Intelli IMT-500 tuners. They're smaller than the Korg, clip right on your headstock so you can tune even in a noisy environment, and I got it from him for about the same as you'd pay for one of the Korgs.
I actually got one of those from MGM and they're great in noisy environments. I usually take it with me when I go shopping for guitars at the big box stores. You can always be sure that the instruments there will be out of tune.

What I don't like about the IMT-500 is its response time. The unit I have doesn't respond as quickly as the Korg. I heard from another person that it was the same with his unit. Still, it does the job. :)

I actually got one of those from MGM and they're great in noisy environments. I usually take it with me when I go shopping for guitars at the big box stores. You can always be sure that the instruments there will be out of tune.

What I don't like about the IMT-500 is its response time. The unit I have doesn't respond as quickly as the Korg. I heard from another person that it was the same with his unit. Still, it does the job. :)

Yep...the needle creeps slowly towards the middle. It can get a bit annoying if you are impatient and just want to play the uke already! What IS nice about this clip on IMT 500 is that it is not sensitive to outside noises AND it has an led light so you can use it when lighting is not the best..:D

What I don't like about the IMT-500 is its response time. The unit I have doesn't respond as quickly as the Korg.

Weirdly enough, that's what I like about it. Not as compared to the Korg though (I have one of them too). I have this other clip-on. I can't remember the brand right now but it's got a silver case and orange screen. It's sort of a longish, thin oval shape.

Anyways, it's so sensitive that the "needle" jumps all over the place. It's like it's picking up all of the overtones, harmonics, etc. and trying to indicate each one as it appears. You're never really sure you've got it in tune.

The Intelli takes a split second to react but the needle motion is much smoother and when you get it in tune the needle stays still.

Worst part is, I spent 3+ times as much on the one that doesn't work as well.

But whatever works, y'know? I only left the Korg behind because it takes up almost all the space in the little gig box in my uke case. Plus I had to spend extra to get the clip-on contact mike for it and its cord was always tangled.

I'm too old to waste time untangling cords all the time. ;)

I have a free tuner i got off the internet called AP Tuner (download.com? or just google it)

I plug in my mic and tune it to that, works like a charm.

If you like the IMT-5, but not the response time and are willing to spend a few more dollars, the Korg AW-1 are nice. Pezo or mic pickup. Outside of the higher cost the Korg AW has no backlight and uses expensive batteries.

If you have a piano, you can play the GCEA and just match your ukulele to it. I still use an electric tuner though. it's the best way.

I use the Korg and the IMT thingy. I only have both because I lost track of the Korg for a while (left it at somebody's house). I use the IMT most of the time now (I'm old and the backlight can be pretty handy).

I found that I could use the Korg in a noisy area if I pressed it against the body of my uke -- you can also plug into it if you have a pickup.

I like to use a tuning fork - you bang it on a handy table and then stand it on its end. It makes a lovely pure note and you can get them in whatever note you want. Very slim and easy to slip into a uke case or your pocket and great for those who want to tune by ear.Trouble is, I gave mine to my son and haven't got round to getting another. Thanks, you lovely people - I'll get onto it right now.

[QUOTE you can get them in whatever note you want. [/QUOTE]

You can get them in A very easily. I'm currently in a bidding war for a G on Ebay. Ho hum ...

I have tuner on my e-ten MDA. Nice way i took it everywhere when I am. Then i have tuner every in my pocket

I know I've seen electric tuners for guitars that give a visual indication that certain strings are on pitch. But are there any like these for the ukulele (specifically the GCEA tuning) or can the electric tuners for guitars be "programmed" to the pitches on the ukulele?

Any recommendations?

yeah, i have one. Whatever can tune a violin can tune a ukulele. Thats what the guy said to me when he sold me my tuner.

Top Bottom