One step forward three steps back

Timbuck

Reaction score
It's time I called it a day and retired from building ukes..I've been saving this nice piece of cuban Mahogany for over a year..
just the right size to make 1/2 a dozen soprano side sets it was 2 1/4" X 2 1/4" square..Today I started to resaw it into slices..I set up the fence and sliced off the first couple at Approx 4mm then I decided I could get them a bit thinner at 3mm so I stopped the saw moved the fence in another 1 mm..then started sawing again...Only to realise after I'd cut off another two slices :( that I'd let the workpiece fall over on it's side and I'd cut off the wrong side...making the rest of the billet undersize and useless :mad:... So instead of six sets , I only got one.:wallbash:

Last edited:
Hearing that Ken made a mistake is like hearing the Dalai Lama punched someone in the face. Don't give up, the rest of us I am sure are not infallible either. Just think of life as a way to learn how to make mistakes faster and with more precision.

Narrow sides sounds like a good excuse to make some sopraninos, or narrow body versions for a change.

Well Ken, if it's any consolation; this morning I was putting new tires in my bicycle while eating donuts, and something went horribly wrong. These things happen.

I feel for ya Ken. This evening I almost made a very stupid mistake. Was gluing the top on a tenor and after I started putting the clamps on I realized I still had the waist spreader inside. I was able to pull it off, get the spreader out and get the top on without incident but waking up in the morning to find the spreader inside would have been a horrible feeling.

I feel for ya Ken. This evening I almost made a very stupid mistake. Was gluing the top on a tenor and after I started putting the clamps on I realized I still had the waist spreader inside. I was able to pull it off, get the spreader out and get the top on without incident but waking up in the morning to find the spreader inside would have been a horrible feeling.
I already did that last year and had to cut the back off and fit another:wallbash:.....Another mistake I just edited in the first post was the material was 2 1/4" square not 1 1/4".
Must be old age getting at me:eek:ld:

To err is human.................................

I guess as we get older, Ken, we become more human.

Every problem is also an opportunity. How about making some little sopranino's Ken?

I already did that last year and had to cut the back off and fit another:wallbash:.....Another mistake I just edited in the first post was the material was 2 1/4" square not 1 1/4".
Must be old age getting at me:eek:ld:

How about a batch of thin bodied "travel" sopranos?

By all means, if you're tired of making ukes, stop making them, but find something else to give you purpose. How about those little cnc machines you've built in the past? I bet you could sell those for $1000, easy, maybe much more. I saw my grandpa lose purpose in his 70s. It didn't help his disposition a bit, and he went on to live another 15 years! Hopefully I'm not overstepping myself here...

This happens frequently to me Ken. When I get back from Canada I'll send you some Cuban material for sides - I got no use for it and cannot think of a better person to have it.

Much better today :D...I spent all day yesterday sitting in the garden doing nowt..Looking at the birds and flowers mostly ...Today I successfully bent 7 sets of Soprano sides..and tomorrow morning i'm off out on a 20 mile bike ride;)

Top Bottom