Koaloha Opio...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
I wish they would have differentiated the look a bit more vs. the Hawaiian made Koalohas. Same headstock shape, same logo, same musubi sound hole, same bridge. This cheapens their original brand in my opinion. As a Koaloha owner, I don't appreciate that.

I'm sure it's a fine instrument though.

I wish they would have differentiated the look a bit more vs. the Hawaiian made Koalohas. Same headstock shape, same logo, same musubi sound hole, same bridge. This cheapens their original brand in my opinion. As a Koaloha owner, I don't appreciate that.

I don't think it will impact the value of a real, Koa, KoAloha. Koa keeps getting more valuable while Sapele is a relatively cheap wood.

It seems to me Koaloha is just making more of an "entry level" uke to expand their market share. It's sapelle mahogany, not koa, which is something they haven't had before except for the Koalana. I've always wanted a Koaloha, but compared to my Martin C1K it seems there's not much difference except in location of manufacture and probably quality of finish. The sound comparisons I've seen are really close and I even liked the Martin better. I got a quality solid koa for a price that was pretty much a stretch for me, but a lot less than a USA made Martin or Hawaiin made anything. So, the Opio gives me the same opportunity, to have a Koaloha for a price more in my comfort range than a Hawaiian made koa Koaloha. and it would probably be something different sounding than my C1K. Although a solid mahogany Islander is about $100 less than the Opio. It comes down to having the brand name in your hands that you like. I'm kind of a brand focus type of guy.

My wife and I are truly dedicated fly anglers. Many of the big name manufacturers import rods from Asia, and sell them as entry level rods. I can only think of one, Winston, that puts its name on the Asian imports. Winston is famous for its green rods, and the imports are brown. Koaloha has "Opio" written clearly on the headstock, and HMS clearly states that they are made in Thailand. The problem will be other dealers who will omit that detail. I see a lot of results for Islander when searching for Kanilea.....

My wife and I are truly dedicated fly anglers. Many of the big name manufacturers import rods from Asia, and sell them as entry level rods. I can only think of one, Winston, that puts its name on the Asian imports. Winston is famous for its green rods, and the imports are brown. Koaloha has "Opio" written clearly on the headstock, and HMS clearly states that they are made in Thailand. The problem will be other dealers who will omit that detail. I see a lot of results for Islander when searching for Kanilea.....

I understand the Hawaiian brands wanting to cash in on the lower priced market and have ukes made overseas, (no difference to me if it is Viet Nam, Thailand, China, or Indonesia). But I do think the lines get blurred and customers see the brand name and think they are comparable. I've seen stores that take the little stickers off the back that say where they are actually made. I love my KoAloha but would not be interested in their import.

I understand the Hawaiian brands wanting to cash in on the lower priced market and have ukes made overseas, (no difference to me if it is Viet Nam, Thailand, China, or Indonesia). But I do think the lines get blurred and customers see the brand name and think they are comparable. I've seen stores that take the little stickers off the back that say where they are actually made. I love my KoAloha but would not be interested in their import.

Oh Yeah.... Back when I had a bike shop, it was extremely common for shops to peel the Made in China labels off of Schwinns, etc. Luthier Kenny Hill has been having guitars made in Mexico and then China for 20 years. The Mexican made guitars were labeled "Kenny Hill", and it became quite a trick to determine whether they were made in Mexico, or Hill's shop in California. The Chinese made guitars are clearly labeled "New World", with Kenny Hill's name in small font somewhere on the edge of the label. Most dealers I know market them as "Kenny Hill" guitars anyway.

KoAloha, KoAloha Opio, KoAlana, who knows?

I have one of the star-crossed KoAlanas. It is a completely wonderful instrument. I haven't had any trouble with the humidity issues. I have been captivated by the sound and the feel of this lovely concert. Because of that I stepped up to a KoAloha. I'm proud of both those 'ukulele. Nothing about my Pono made me want a Ko olau.

Dither if you want. If my KoAlana is any indication a KoAloha Opio is a damned good 'uke. You pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

the label inside clearly states "Made in Thailand".

I am VERY happy to hear this! That is all I ask as a consumer, be upfront and let me decide. I have no problem buying an uke made overseas if the label clearly states the country it was made in. Now if we could only get those "other" Hawaiian brands to do the same and stop putting removable stickers on their imports. (sigh)

from an online ad :"Same quality as the Hawaiian KoAloha's but without the high price"

I think it will hurt their made in HI ukes, if true. some will even prefer mahogany. they may make a better profit on their import line as more will be able to afford them so they will sell more. I wish them good luck, they are very nice people.

You know you've been playing ukulele too long when the imports now cost as much as the Hawaiian-made ones did when you started. :uhoh: But I'm sure that these will be fantastic ukes for the money if they've managed to solve the humidity issue. If those are the same tuners as the real thing, a lot of people will be very happy.

Squier instruments are all over the market, and USA made Fenders have only gone up in price/stature.

You know you've been playing ukulele too long when the imports now cost as much as the Hawaiian-made ones did when you started. :uhoh: But I'm sure that these will be fantastic ukes for the money if they've managed to solve the humidity issue. If those are the same tuners as the real thing, a lot of people will be very happy.

I looked at the tuners last night, and it's not easy to tell, but the flat side of the "barrel" looks larger on the Hawaii Koaloha:
image.jpg

Opio Koaloha:
image.jpg

That could be the light, but they don't appear quite the same to my eye. Best bet would be a phone call to HMS.

looks like a ..very.. nice instrument. that said i would rather save for a kamaka.

Does anyone know how sapele sounds? Is it comparable to mahogany, Acacia, Koa,.........?

Top Bottom