Ukuwheele - an ukulele hurdy gurdy

What do you all think of this?

Pretty interesting. I kind of miss the buzzing thing you can have on the hurdy gurdy that allows you to play percussive parts along with the notes. I would be curious what strings he's using, because I know the hurdy needs rosin to grab the strings, and I'm not sure how nylon uke strings would fare. But maybe they're fine.

Pretty interesting. I kind of miss the buzzing thing you can have on the hurdy gurdy that allows you to play percussive parts along with the notes. I would be curious what strings he's using, because I know the hurdy needs rosin to grab the strings, and I'm not sure how nylon uke strings would fare. But maybe they're fine.

That was my thought too- wondered how nylon would hold up under that friction.

Fun concept! Certainly nothing I'd considered before. Perhaps that's because I'm not a hurdy gurdy maker. ;)

Fluorocarbon strings are pretty darn tough...I bet they'd hold up pretty decent.

John

That's brilliant.

The buzzing thing is a funny bridge on one of the drone strings...it has two legs, and the main pressure is on one of them, but with a bit more push on the crank, the second foot buzzes on the top. Check out the band "Blowzabella" for some of the best hurdygurdy (and music in general) on CD.

I've heard they sound like a ukulele (just kidding, but who could resist such a setup line)

That's brilliant.

The buzzing thing is a funny bridge on one of the drone strings...it has two legs, and the main pressure is on one of them, but with a bit more push on the crank, the second foot buzzes on the top. Check out the band "Blowzabella" for some of the best hurdygurdy (and music in general) on CD.

Yeah, that's it! We have a Celtic band in the area that has a hurdy gurdy in the lineup, and when he engages the buzzing bridge, can really get that thing moving; it's pretty cool.

Thanks for the CD recommendation; I'll give them a listen.

Top Bottom