Traveling with several ukes

fernandogardinali

Reaction score
Hello,

Me and the future wife are moving to Ireland next semester to start our lives together and I really want to take all my ukes with me. I'm accepting that my tenor guitar will have to be sold. It's too bulky and heavy and I don't play it that much - also, money is tight, as we are moving across the ocean and we want to travel as much as we can.

I know I'll probably will be able to take one or two ukes with me as carry ons, but I'm worried about the other ones. Do you have any ideas on how to protect them and keep them safe in the baggage compartment?

Hello,

Me and the future wife are moving to Ireland next semester to start our lives together and I really want to take all my ukes with me. I'm accepting that my tenor guitar will have to be sold. It's too bulky and heavy and I don't play it that much - also, money is tight, as we are moving across the ocean and we want to travel as much as we can.

I know I'll probably will be able to take one or two ukes with me as carry ons, but I'm worried about the other ones. Do you have any ideas on how to protect them and keep them safe in the baggage compartment?

There is a packing video on Hawaii Music Supplies site, I would use that video and then ship them someplace out there that would be able to store them inside at normal temps immediately upon arrival.

I was also going to suggest mailing them ahead of you to a secure location. How exciting to be heading to Ireland. Safe travels!!!

I recall that when I moved to Jamaica after obtaining a work permit for my business there, I was advised to label the parcels I shipped to Montego Bay containing my possessions as "Used Personal Effects" to avoid import duties. Some similar protocol may apply regarding Irish customs. Shipping ukes that way might also be advisable because of the risk, albeit slim, that your instruments could be seized under the international CITES Treaty if shipped by themselves, or even if carried-on by you.

CITES aims to stop trafficking in endangered species, like some tone woods, including certain kinds of mahogany, rosewood, ebony, ivory, abalone, etc. You might want to make a preemptive check with Irish authorities about whether you might need some kind of certification for each instrument to avoid potential CITES delays or impounds. Wood instruments (and ones with ivory parts or shell inlays) have been seized during players' ordinary travels, on CITES grounds, sometimes erroneously. Short of going to court and proving the authorities were wrong, there's no way to get an impounded instrument back.

To read about this potential nightmare, click the following link (and be sure to read the entire section subheadlined "Permits, Ports and Seizures"):

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/features/magazine/guitar-lover’s-guide-cites-conservation-treaty

Carbon fiber uke for travel, anyone?

Last edited:
Top Bottom