Long Neck Soprano

WashAshore

Reaction score
I need a Soprano to round out my herd (small, three Ukes.) I'm thinking about a long neck
as my sausage fingers just make it on a Concert. I did a search and as usual came up with
five hundred pages.
I'm looking for input from others who may have gone in this direction.
Thanks!

At the low end price-wise I am amazed by the Kala KA-SLNG and SSLNG. Mahogany laminate and solid spruce top w/mahogany back and sides respectively. I had the mahogany before my current spruce top. Get into the K brands and you're out of my league. Oh wait, I meant the other K brands. :)

I've got a Mainland cedar top long neck soprano and love it! I really like the way it rounds out my collection sound wise. The bark of a soprano with the ease of a concert.

I have a KoAloha and a Kiwaya. If you can afford them either is a good choice even though the Kiwaya is a "super thin laminate."

John

I just got the KA-SLNG and I am impressed. It is so easy to play and has the vibe of a soprano. Mine really resonates so I am very happy. Got it from a liquidator on Ebay for $45 plus shipping. I found several soprano cases fit it nicely. I ended up getting the semi-hardshell badged Uke Crazy soprano case. Fits just right and a bit more protection than a gig bag. Short people like to throw their carry on luggage on top of my uke in the airplane luggage bins because either they can't see it or don't care. So a bit more protection is in order for me. I can't believe how light it is to carry. Joy.

I just got a Bruko longneck this week, and I'm loving it. It's so nice to have the extra room on the board for my big hands, and I've found things I found difficult on the soprano much easier on the longneck. It also seems to have more sustain and presence, but that might just be the wood!

After a few days with it, it looks 'normal' to me now, and the regular soprano seems to have an unaturally short neck! You can see some pics of it here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...UD!-Bruko-Longneck-Cedar-amp-Mahogany-Soprano

I've played the KA-SLNG quite a bit at work, and I'd have to say that it is probably my favourite soprano in that price range. (We have it for ~110). I feel that the gloss finish really rounds out the tone as opposed to the satin finish on the regular KA-S. My $0.02.

+1 on the kala SLNG. Just got one yesterday from Mim. I also looked at the Gretsch 9100-L that HMS has but went with the SLNG as it was cheaper, closer to me, and thought I would like the slightly thinner neck better. I'm still looking at the KPK longnecks though, if they ever actually materialize.

Top Bottom