has anyone tryed behlen stringed instrument in spray can form?

tangimango

Reaction score
I dont have spray equipment so maybe the behlen in spray can is the best option for nitro.finish. or wood I be better off with truoil for high gloss finish?

Thank you

I've not used or seen Behlen can finishes but ive seen results from the Stew Mac and Re ranch nitro cans and they are good- the only difference is you will spend a bit more time cutting back as the can nozzle is obviously inferior to decent spray equipment which give a nice flat spray.

Also, warm the can in warm water before spraying with it.

Haven't used Behlen but have used cans of clear lacquer from an auto painting place and they work pretty well.
Miguel

Yes pete has told me that the caps/spray tip is not good. If changing to a higher quality graffiti cap, would a wider spray cap be better.

I've not used or seen Behlen can finishes but ive seen results from the Stew Mac and Re ranch nitro cans and they are good- the only difference is you will spend a bit more time cutting back as the can nozzle is obviously inferior to decent spray equipment which give a nice flat spray.

Also, warm the can in warm water before spraying with it.

Yes, I currently have a couple cans. I have used it on 2 ukuleles and an electric guitar kit. It can polish up nice and shiny. light coats and several of them. I too have not yet invested in a sprayer for finishing my projects. It worked ok for me for what it is (rattle can). When I bought my Behlen, they sent spray caps to change out for the original one. The original one is junk. the replacement was a wide fan that can be adjusted for a horizontal or vertical fan. Hope this helped.

yeah thats the caps i need, wide fan style adjustable horizontal or vertical. where could i get some of those caps?

Yes, I currently have a couple cans. I have used it on 2 ukuleles and an electric guitar kit. It can polish up nice and shiny. light coats and several of them. I too have not yet invested in a sprayer for finishing my projects. It worked ok for me for what it is (rattle can). When I bought my Behlen, they sent spray caps to change out for the original one. The original one is junk. the replacement was a wide fan that can be adjusted for a horizontal or vertical fan. Hope this helped.

I use it regularly.

It works well for me. Though it's easy to waste a lot in overspray, and from a can with a relatively small amount in it, it can seem expensive. But I've worked on my technique and now it seems fairly economical - for the way I build. No compressor/gun equipment cost, and no cleanup! (time is money) But I only build one or two a month!

Love your work. That was a nice truoil finish on the spruce/Walnut build.
Do u prefer truoil or the behlen spray can?

I use it regularly.

It works well for me. Though it's easy to waste a lot in overspray, and from a can with a relatively small amount in it, it can seem expensive. But I've worked on my technique and now it seems fairly economical - for the way I build. No compressor/gun equipment cost, and no cleanup! (time is money) But I only build one or two a month!

Not sure where to buy them by themselves. maybe try LMII or stew mac. Even a paint supply store?

Good luck. Mine came with my cans of lacquer.

I dont have spray equipment so maybe the behlen in spray can is the best option for nitro.finish. or wood I be better off with truoil for high gloss finish?

Thank you

Yep. Yuck! I tried it a couple times and was quite dissatisfied with the results, but maybe others have better luck. I never felt there was much control over spray pattern, dust problems, blushing, or fisheyes.
I prefer anything else to rattle cans.

Dust, blushing, fish-eyes? These are not to do with the lacquer but preparation and the spray environment. Though uneconomical for a professional shop, spray cans with the right nozzle are great for the occasional builder.

Graffiti nozzles available on eBay at a very good price.

Top Bottom