soprano or tenor?

Papa-Ooke

Reaction score
Hello to all, it's been a while since I posted. I've been playing my Ohana CK-10 Concert for a couple of years now and having a blast. So the UAS is kicking in and I think it's time for a new uke. I was thinking soprano, but then got to thinking maybe a tenor would be the next best step. What do you think would be the best logical step for my next uke? Any suggestions on brand or model or place of purchase (got my CK-10 from Mim)? Thanks for any info.

Papa

Hello to all, it's been a while since I posted. I've been playing my Ohana CK-10 Concert for a couple of years now and having a blast. So the UAS is kicking in and I think it's time for a new uke. I was thinking soprano, but then got to thinking maybe a tenor would be the next best step. What do you think would be the best logical step for my next uke? Any suggestions on brand or model or place of purchase (got my CK-10 from Mim)? Thanks for any info.

Papa

To me a concert and a soprano are very similar. A tenor can sound a lot different. Find a store and relax and take your time and try playing a bunch, different sizes and woods and types etc. Thats the only way to make the best choice IMHO. I took a risk and got a Baritone online, i don't regret it though but any other nice Ukulele's I ever get will be in person. Its amazing how different they sound.

If you want something noticeably different go with the tenor. I occasionally play a concert but tenor is where it's at for me.

try out both, and then figure out what u like, both are different so. what is your budget? that will help with suggestions

Thanks to all for the advice. I think I would like to keep the budget around the $100-$150 range for now. Something comparable to the CK-10 I have now. Before I spend a lot on a uke, I think I should know if I like the size or not, I may not be able to play a soprano. Thanks again.

Papa

in that price you would probably get a better quality soprano then tenor. ill try to think of some suggestions:)

If you want a soprano, get the Makai in the Marketplace.

Phil, I must be doing something wrong. I clicked on the marketplace, and there were only two ukes, neither were Makai. So I did a search and it went to eBay. Not sure what's going on.

Papa

Re: Makai Soprano...... It's also on ebay, so you have to hurry if you want it.

Howdy, Papa.

If you'd like a still-more-mellow ukulele, go for a soprano. Your concert uke's little brothers and sisters have less string tension, so they are a little easier on the fingers. Also, I find that soprano ukes have less volume and sustain, with a mellower tone.

If you'd like a more-in-your-face ukulele, go for a tenor. Your concert uke's big brothers and sisters have more string tension and a bigger soundboard, so they need a little finger strength, and they tend to have more volume and sustain, with a brighter tone.

Play a few of each to get an idea which appeals to you more while you're in the mood to shop.

Hi P, if you think that you might want to try a low G then a tenor would be a choice. If not then it's personal preference. Maybe another concert?

If you like your Ck-10 then you will probably like the TK-10. I did the same thing with the 20 series (1\2 step up from the 10) and am happy with both.

Good luck and keep us posted

Before I spend a lot on a uke, I think I should know if I like the size or not, I may not be able to play a soprano.
Because of hand size? I have fairly large hands for a woman, and I find the soprano scale to be too cramped for me. My background is with classical guitar, and my uke preference is for tenors.

But you should try both sizes and decide what's best for you.

Man, you guys are great. I finally got to see the Makai MK-90 in the marketplace. Super nice uke, I'm sure it's in good condition and sounds great, but it had some issues in the past, and I think I will let this one go. Elderly has an Ohana SK-20s solid top soprano for $98.00, that includes setup and shipping. I'm thinking that's a pretty good deal, but I don't know anything about Elderly's setup. How would you compare Elderly's setup with one of the "uke only" shops? I've always heard it's best to buy from a uke only shop because they focus on just ukes and nothing else.

Papa

do not fear used, you can get some great quality stuff without having to fork out alot. I know you r gunna pass on that makai, but it hasn't had too many issues, a blemish is nothing, the fretting i can see a concern, however if its fixed it is prob better than it ever was. Elderly setup will probably be fine :) never purchased from them but they seem like an excellent quality shop, i think they also have like a discount of sorts going on (check the forum).

do not fear used, you can get some great quality stuff without having to fork out alot. I know you r gunna pass on that makai, but it hasn't had too many issues, a blemish is nothing, the fretting i can see a concern, however if its fixed it is prob better than it ever was. Elderly setup will probably be fine :) never purchased from them but they seem like an excellent quality shop, i think they also have like a discount of sorts going on (check the forum).

Kwall, yea the blemish doesn't really bother me, but the fret thing makes me a little cautious. The frets that were fixed may be ok, but if there were problems with them, there may be problems with the others later, maybe, maybe not. I haven't completely forgot about the Makai, it's on the back burner. I don't know much about Makai, I'll have to research them a little. Still not sure about Elderly, don't hear much about them on this forum, some like em, some don't. Ever hear of North Carolina Ukulele Academy? They've got an SK-20 for about the same $$.

Papa

Shop around try some out. unless you get a good quality, perhaps vintage soprano you might find them small and quiet
That happened to me until I found a great old soprano after starting on concert myself

do not fear used, you can get some great quality stuff without having to fork out alot.
Definitely check out the Marketplace here and at fleamarketmusic.com, check your local craigslist and even ebay if you're feeling lucky.

I have 10 ukes, only one was bought new (that was a $100 Yamaha Guitalele that I had Amazon credits for), two were won by contest/drawing, the rest were all acquired used. Five here via the Marketplace, one on craigslist and one on ebay.

Definitely check out the Marketplace here and at fleamarketmusic.com, check your local craigslist and even ebay if you're feeling lucky.

I have 10 ukes, only one was bought new (that was a $100 Yamaha Guitalele that I had Amazon credits for), two were won by contest/drawing, the rest were all acquired used. Five here via the Marketplace, one on craigslist and one on ebay.

Itsme, I've been looking at the marketplace and fleamarketmusic, but I'm a little weary of eBay and Craigslist, no setup, kind of like buying from Amazon. But I'll keep an eye out, still thinking about the Makai in the marketplace. I have decided, whatever I get, I'm going to upgrade to a solid top. Decisions, decisions, so many ukes, so little money.

Papa

solid or solid top are good idea in your budget might be a touch tricky (less choice).

dont fear craigslist its just a used posting, the fortunate thing is you can actually try out the instrument most times casue its local , which trying is always a good thing. Though setup is nice, you could always buy a non setup instrument that is ok, If not you can get a setup done at shops and such too, or dont buy it and play the waiting game. not sure where you are from but kijiji is also great (same as craigslist)

amazon i am very weary and somtimes with ebay, but craigs and kijiji its the personal owners and you can always play it try it out and then decide

Top Bottom