Active = No Preamp?

one80

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
my ukulele has got a Shodow passive pickup installed in it. I have purchased a L.R Baggs Gig Pro preamp to go with it.
I am looking to buy a Mi-Si Acoustic Trio pickup an install that instead of the original.
If i buy this new pickup will there be any point in me having/ using the preamp?

Thanks
Sam:shaka:

No, the Mi-Si has an internal preamp. The only advantage to an external preamp in this case would be to do some EQ shaping.

Last edited:
if youre going to go with an external preamp, i would suggest spending the extra money toward the LR Baggs paracoustic DI. im not familiar with the MiSi, whether it has onboard controls or not, but if it does, the DI will actually enhance the acoustic sound of your instrument. and if you are worried about feedback, you have a notch control to accomodate for the frequency of your soundboard when it wants to feed back.

the DI does wonders on a passive pickup. from my experience, with an onboard pre-amp, through the DI, it just makes things even sweeter.

it may take a while to get used to all the controls and finding the sweet spot with you uke/amp/PA combination. but when you do, its (no pun intended) pure music.

Top Bottom