NUD - not sure if I'm going to keep...

OldePhart

Reaction score
...the Worth clear C string or switch it for a Thomastik-Infeld CF27 chrome flat wound string...

BWAAAA-HAAAA - got ya to look! :)

My new Boat Paddle 5-string tenor arrived a couple of hours ago. Spruce top/ walnut back, sides, and head plate/ebony finger board and binding / pearl logo and thumbnail markers / MiSi pickup.
IMG_1869_web.jpg

Sounds and plays amazing. Good volume and sustain, excellent intonation up the neck, nice action, great chimey harmonics, "peppy" tone without being too bright. Sounds like a ukulele, not a guitar.

I was worried about Worth clears being a bit bright with spruce but I really like it. I'd figured that I might end up changing to Ko'Olau gold strings or something but I think I'm happy with what's on it now (I'd sent Jerry a Thomastik-Infeld CF30 for the octave G). I really might go to a CF27 wound C but I'll play it this way for a while before deciding.

John

PM sent.

Oh, wait. It's not for sale.

Somebody is feeling giddy with their new Uke!

Congratulations Jon, it's neat looking....bet it sounds good!

Congrats on a great new uke! That's my dream uke - someday I hope to get one. First though, I need to improve my skill. That's a good thing though as it means I'm enjoying my BP 12 fret concert. Jerry makes great ukes. Every time I play mine I can't believe how light it is and how sweet it sounds.

Happy strumming!

(whiiiiiiiiiiiistle!) that is one sweet uke.

Congrats!

Any chance of a sound sample? Ihave a six string, but the five string craze has got the wheels turning. Just when you think UAS is in remission...

Very nice! Congratulations!

Still have to wait 3~4 months for my ML-Style concert. :(

You must have just ordered it, or ordered gloss finish, or both, or maybe I was just really lucky on my timing. It's worth the wait, though!

Somebody is feeling giddy with their new Uke!

Nah. I'm too old and fat and male to be giddy...I'm...uh..."uncharacteristically joyful."

Congratulations on the new BP!! Have fun!
Randy

Thanks

Congratulations Jon, it's neat looking....bet it sounds good!

and Thanks

Congrats on a great new uke! That's my dream uke - someday I hope to get one. First though, I need to improve my skill. That's a good thing though as it means I'm enjoying my BP 12 fret concert. Jerry makes great ukes. Every time I play mine I can't believe how light it is and how sweet it sounds.

Happy strumming!

I was going to say getting a good uke will actually make your skill improve faster but I see you're already playing a great uke. So I'll say this, playing one of Jerry's five strings isn't much different from playing a 4-string tenor. Really, I'm quite surprised. I haven't broken out the ruler yet but I think he spaces the g strings together a little closer than they are on my Oscar Schmidt Willie K. I know that the BP has equal spacing between the strings (from inner G string to C to E to A). On the Willie K the spacing between the inner G string and the C is much narrower than is the C to E and E to A - and that threw me off a bit, even after playing it for a while. The BP feels just like playing a four-string - but with string spacing that might be closer to what you find on a concert uke. In fact, if you're playing a concert I bet you could transition to a 5-string tenor with very little difficulty.

That is a very cool instrument. Congrats!

Thanks!

(whiiiiiiiiiiiistle!) that is one sweet uke.

Congrats!

Any chance of a sound sample? Ihave a six string, but the five string craze has got the wheels turning. Just when you think UAS is in remission...

I'll try to do a vid or two in the next week or so. Kind of depends on all the other stuff going on.

congrats John it looks super...now you can paddle to hawaii to see the hula gals :)
....happy strummings..

BTW, I had one person PM to ask if it is head-heavy. I don't feel like it is, but it is right at the edge of being so. Some people might think it is. With a NS Micro tuner perched out at the very end of the headstock it balances at about the heel of the neck. If it balanced a little closer to the body I would probably put a strap button on the heel. As it is I will probably use a strap that ties at the headstock.

If you're very sensitive to balance I would recommend springing for the Peghead tuners (Jerry actually recommended them to me but I just can't stand the way they look).

I would definitely avoid the 18:1 enclosed tuners as they are quite heavy - even four of them would probably make this design head-heavy. I chose the standard open-geared tuners and it is okay, but would be even better with Pegheads I 'magine.

One other thing that is probably worth avoiding is an ebony headstock plate. Jerry's plates are thicker than some and ebony is pretty heavy. I chose walnut to match the back and sides. I had considered asking for an ebony head plate to make the logo stand out more prominently but I am glad that I did not.

John

I just ordered from BP a D body style 5 string baritone walnut b/s, western red cedar top, maple fretboard/bridge, maple top/bottom binding, side only fret markers, and MISI pu. Now for the wait (which is kind of fun)!!! In the mean time I'll be strumming my BP 5 string concert Kayak.

Top Bottom