Old Kamaka Pineapple - Worth Saving?

gtomatt

Reaction score
A lady here at work has a Kamaka pineapple she has owned since the 1960's. Unfortunately, she has stored it quite poorly and it has dried out/cracked. Sending photos to Kamaka has gotten me a rough quote of $250 - $300 to restore it (replacing top and back) and upgrading the tuners.

Do you think it's worth the investment? Any idea of what it might be worth completed (just curious - if I invest that much in it the odds are pretty darn good I'll be keeping it).

Mahalo,
MattFront.jpgFront Crack 1.jpgFront Crack 2.jpgFront Crack 3.jpgBack Crack.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone has their own opinion. If it was mine I would send it to Kamaka and have it restored. A good way to check values is looking at completed listings on ebay. Good luck with your decision.

In good condition I see those selling for between $350-$500 or so. Is she giving the uke to you no charge? If so, you should spring for the restoration and play it for a while - I'm guessing you could get your investment back pretty easily should you choose not to keep it.

Considering a new Kamaka pineapple is $995 list on their site... I'd be awfully tempted to take them up on that repair.

I would take it to a really good luthier and get a price to repair, rather than replace, the cracks and separations.

Scooter

Hi Janeray

When I asked what she wanted for it she indicated $50

Thanks,
Matt
that is probally paid for it new or less....Grab it...300 for a kamaka gold pineapple fixed is a great deal....can you go an play it first though..

I agree that you should pick it up. Also, in my not so humble opinion, there is zero reason to have the top and back replaced. Kamaka, revered as they are in the ukulele world, do NOT do restorations. They make broken ukuleles playable. A qualified luthier could likely fix your ukulele for the money Kamaka is quoting, and don't forget you will have to cover shipping to and from Kamaka which will add to the cost.

If you have Kamaka repair it, you will get back a playable ukulele, which is fine, but you won't get back a wonderful, vintage ukulele, but a changed instrument. They will likely not use the original bridge if they replace the top so you end up with a very different uke coming back. Up to you what you want to do. As a vintage ukulele freak, I try to keep vintage ukuleles as unaltered as possible as I value them the most left the way they were made by the original builder.

I vote a great big "yes, go for it!" and let a very trusted luthier take care of it. I wonder if the neck is warped or twisted.

I agree that you should pick it up. Also, in my not so humble opinion, there is zero reason to have the top and back replaced. Kamaka, revered as they are in the ukulele world, do NOT do restorations. They make broken ukuleles playable. A qualified luthier could likely fix your ukulele for the money Kamaka is quoting, and don't forget you will have to cover shipping to and from Kamaka which will add to the cost.

If you have Kamaka repair it, you will get back a playable ukulele, which is fine, but you won't get back a wonderful, vintage ukulele, but a changed instrument. They will likely not use the original bridge if they replace the top so you end up with a very different uke coming back. Up to you what you want to do. As a vintage ukulele freak, I try to keep vintage ukuleles as unaltered as possible as I value them the most left the way they were made by the original builder.

Yes Ryan, most times I would rather keep the ukulele original, but looking at this one, there are far way too many cracks and it would probally hurt the value even more than putting a new back and sides on. Alot easier fixing, looks nicer at the end and probally worth more.. I am like you, whenever it is possible to keep it original, I would...in this instance though, way too many cracks..it's the most I probally seen on a uke...holy smoke.. like I told matt, it will probally sound different if changed....whether bad or better we will know after the strings are on....I am sure and confident in kamaka in doing it right though....anyone else maybe not so much....

Go for it. I've seen pic of these babies after Kamaka restored them and they were off-the-hook gorgeous. I'd sure jump on it, and I'm not even shopping for one.

If you don't want it, give me her number. ;)

I will gladly take it off your hands as is and then I will drive it over to Kamaka. :)
So Matt, tell your friend you'll take it off her hands for $50. If you keep it, great, but there are a few of us here who will happily take it! I'll pay for shipping here too.

Top Bottom