Really dumb stringing question.

Hadsdad

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just started playing the uke in December. I started on a mahalo blue toy like uke. By February I was ready to move up. I wanted a KPK brand, but couldnt wait so I bought a Kala KA-SPS. While the Kala is a much better instrument, I kind of like the sound of the cheap mahalo. So my question is... Is there a certain brand of strings that I can put on a good uke to make it sound cheap?

Anyone?

What strings are on the Kala now? If they are white Aquilas a fluorocarbon or nylon string set will make a big difference in sound. Maybe not "cheap" but different and perhaps more pleasing. Chasing after the right set of strings for each 'ukulele is part of the fun.

Yeah...I always find that the Aquila nylon strings give me that bright punchy sound that I like so much from my Mahalo.

I really love playing that little thing.

What is a Kala SPS? Can't find one listed anywhere.

I thought I was the only one who started on the blue Mahalo. I enjoyed playing it, but in trying to figure out the fingering (so my fingers didn’t cramp) on the G chord, I decided to buy a larger (concert-sized) ukulele. It might just be me, but I notice a slightly deeper sound with the bigger uke.

I’d have to agree with PereBourik, in that it doesn’t sound “cheap” with the strings that were on the Mahalo, just different. I prefer the deeper sound of the Aquila strings I now use, probably because it’s closer to my vocal tone than the ones on the Mahalo.

Well, Aquilas have already been mentioned multiple time. They make amazing nylon strings.

They also make a line of synthetic gut strings called "Nylgut" that I very much enjoy on my uke. You might want to check them out as well. Luckily ukulele strings are not super expensive, so you can try different kinds out until you find a sound you like. It's one of the fun parts of learning the ukulele (or any stringed instrument) and making it yours.

I've just started using D'Addario Titanium strings and really like both the feel and the sound. I like Aquilas too, but for some ukes they are a bit brash.

Is there a certain brand of strings that I can put on a good uke to make it sound cheap?

Anyone?

See if you can get your hands on some of those counterfeit Aquilas!

Top Bottom