Strings for different ukes

phlatpicker

Reaction score
Hello ukers. I've been reading here for a long time without contributing, as I'm not your usual strumming uker. My interest is melody flat picking.
After experimenting for several years with my two Lanikai Baritones, I have found the nicest strings for my LU-21B Laminate are Worth Browns; while the Spruce top S-B sounds really good with Southcoast Light Linear strings. The Worths are tuned DGBE & the Southcoast Lights are tuned GCEA. I flatpick in the sweet spot between the 7th & 11th frets so I now play the laminate in E flat & the spruce top in A flat.
I now have two very different sounding ukes, which makes for variety.

Last edited:
Hello ukers. I've been reading here for a long time without contributing, as I'm not your usual strumming uker. My interest is melody flat picking.
After experimenting for several years with my two Lanikai Baritones, I have found the nicest strings for my LU-21B Laminate are Worth Browns; while the Spruce top S-B sounds really good with Southcoast Light Linear strings. The Worths are tuned DGBE & the Southcoast Lights are tuned GCEA. I flatpick in the sweet spot between the 7th & 11th frets so I now play the laminate in E flat & the spruce top in A flat.
I now have two very different sounding ukes, which makes for variety.

Hi There!

This rabbit hole goes deep, and you are NOT alone.

Back on Feb 17, 2014, this long thread was created and a great discussion on this topic is there:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?93141-It-s-like-UAS-only-worse-SCO

-Booli

My observation is that a lot of people here use different strings on individual instruments. I won't say that is the norm, but my impression is that it is. Some of us take longer to get there than others.

My Kala Bari seemed happy with its Nylguts, but I didn't like the sound of the wound metal on the spruce-topped RipTide baritone. It sounded pretty good in CGEA with concert D'Addarios (T2s) but that wasn't what I wanted out of it. After that, Bari T2s went on it. Trebles, fine, but the metal just didn't sound great to me. I changed 3&4 for Aquila Reds about a week ago. Sweet & low tones without the harsh metal sound. Love it.
I haven't tried the 1 & 2 Reds, but have a tenor set that I'm holding for a uke I don't yet have. Its acacia top may not need them.

I'm coming from classical guitar to ukulele. It's not uncommon for me to order individual strings for my guitars, and have strings from three different manufacturers on one guitar. I just went to Guitar Center for a pack of Martin M600 strings. I don't want the set, just the A string. That's the unfortunate part of playing ukulele, and while Strings By Mail sells individual guitar strings, they only sell sets of uke strings.

Most of my ukulele playing is fingerstyle, although I do strum as well.

Interesting comments from you guys. Booli, I've read 2 pages of the previous thread today & will read the rest soon. Lots of ukers with absorbing stories.

Top Bottom