Aquila Reds...........

buc mcmaster

Reaction score
Always one to test this or that, I order a few sets of the Aquila Reds in soprano and concert. Did not like these right away on the Gibson soprano. The instrument lost volume and the "honk" it had with Nylgut strings was gone.........they were off the little soprano within a few hours.....back to the strings that work on this particular instrument.

Now on the Collings koa concert......yes sir! Nice volume and a snappy tone on the longer scale ukulele. The most striking difference is the feel of these strings. Wonderful touch! The smaller diameters feel very nice under the fingers and there seems to be a bit more tension in them though I don't really know if this is true. They feel great on the concert. I have used Nylgut and Living Water on this uke in the past, generally preferring the LWs, but the Reds have almost immediately become my string of choice on this instrument. They settled in overnight and this morning are holding tune very well after less than a day, another plus. Now we'll see how long the tone holds up..........

So, if you haven't tried these copper-infused Aquilas and like to experiment I highly recommend giving them a go. Each uke is different......Reds don't fly on my soprano Gibson.....and every player has a different ear, but they certainly make my Collings concert jump!

Top Bottom