String theory

DKayne

Reaction score
As soon as I got my ukulele, I was tuning (or attempting to tune) it, and immediately snapped the A string. So, naturally, had to get that replaced fairly quickly.

Going in to Guitar Center to get new strings, I was asked what strings I wanted (being presented with what I saw as being too many options for someone who had only been playing for a couple of weeks). I probably sounded quite foolish when, slack-jawed, I said, “Uh…which are the best?”

Which brings me to my question: Are there really major differences between brands of nylon strings? Or, is it really just a matter of preference?

There is a difference among string brands and sets, but you can probably get by with whatever GC has in stock. That's usually Martin M600 strings (for concert and soprano), and Aquila strings. Getting a set that fits your ukulele size is sort of important with those two brands, and you wouldn't want to use Martin's tenor strings on a soprano. A good set up on the instrument is more important than brand at this early stage. ;)

I see from one of your other posts that you have an Ohana concert size uke. GC is likely to have the Martin M600 and Aquila concert strings, both of which are fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom