Need help, Luna or Kala?

Kyle95

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I know I posted a thread before saying that I was looking at the Makala sharks for my first uke but I have decided that I want to save up and buy a better quality uke. The uke's I have really been thinking about lately are the Kala ka-s soprano ukulele and the Luna pineapple soprano ukuleles (tattoo or great wave model). I have a guy to properly set up the uke when I get it. Both uke's have pretty positive reviews from what I can see. Basically I was just wondering if there was anything that really set the two apart or anything that makes one better than the other.

-Kyle

both are great choicesm, myself i liked the feel for the kala and still reasonably priced. havent tried the luna (sorry). Something to consider though is do you like the sound of a pineapple, there can be a difference not saying either is better, just they sound different. Hope this helps

I have a Luna Tattoo tenor and I like it a lot. It doesn't have a lot of ring to it, kind of percussive when strumming, but I love the sound for fingerpicking. It is very loud.

I have the Luna Tattoo Pineapple uke, and it is an excellent choice for the money. The pineapple shape gives it a little more richness than you might otherwise find in a laminate soprano. And the design is very cool.

When UAS kicks in, you will eventually have one of each - ha ha!

I am VERY happy still with my Kala KA-T tenor, despite having much nicer, more expensive ukes....

...but I still lust for a Luna Tattoo of some flavor, and the Pineapple Soprano would be completely different from my mostly-wood ukes (I have a concert Flea also, which is a similar shape, but polycarbonate body)

Fellow UU brother Johnny Foodstamp has this one video of his Luna tattoo pineapple where he is really rocking out Roy Smeck style with an old-timey tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC-ZWczhlZE

and here is another of the same uke he has that I just found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oshCElTT6k4

Last edited:
I have been very happy with my Luna concert. It plays like a dream.

Mine was purchased from HMS, so it came with a beautiful setup. HMS has a nice deal right now on the Tattoo Pineapple.

I have a Luna pineapple tattoo, not that impressed with it. Get a Shark and learn to play, you'll want to upgrade and keep the shark for posterity.

I got the Makai pineapple because it came with bone nut and saddle. Still need to lower action a little and install Aquila strings though.

I'm biased toward the Kala: they just seem well-made. The Lunas I've seen are spotty, and reminiscent of the hit-or-miss quality of the Lanakais (oh, Lanaka-istas, please don't hurt me!).

The Lunas are girly, with all the doo-dad stuff. You'll tire of it quickly.

I bought a Kala "exotic mahogany" concert uke once through Amazon. It had several obvious blemishes and a painted-on stripe down the back that was attempting to pass as joint binding. It also sounded dull, thin and had spotty intonation. Never again.

Back when I was trying to decide between a Luna and a Kala, I asked MusicGuyMic about it and he recommended the Luna. I got one with setup and all from HMS and have no regrets till now. :)

All of those ukes are laminates aren't they? If you are going to upgrade then upgrade, like to solid top. Otherwise the difference in sound quality is minimal. If you can't afford a solid top then get the shark to learn on. You will eventually want a better instrument and then save for something really good. Just my opinion. I bought a luna tatoo concert thinking I was upgrading from a Cordoba UP100. Both laminate, both had similar sound quality. I took the luna back and put down more money on a solid wood uke. The difference between that one and the other 2 laminates was huge.

I own a solid wood uke and would certainly recommend one, but have played Luna Tattoos that belonged to other folks and they sounded pretty good to me. At least on those particular ukes, the intonation was good.

You can get good or bad ukes from Kala or Luna or just about any manufacturer. I've been lucky, both my Kalas have been great. I have a laminate Kala that sounds almost as good as my solid mahogany one. If I were going to buy another lam, I think it would be a Cordoba though, I had one, and wish I hadn't sold it....I love the way they shape their necks, easier to play than anything else I've ever tried. I had a Luna, wans't taht crazy about it, sold it.

I hope you bought it set up. I didn't get my luna set up and it really showed.

I ordered it online today but it's new in the box and there is a local shop I am planning on taking it to have it properly set up.

Top Bottom