chord shapes for different tunings

carpekd

Reaction score
I'm experimenting with different tunings (full step down, etc.), and I am looking for a site or chart that will show the chord shapes for each step down of tuning. For example, I know that a G chord shape in GCEA is a D chord shape in DGBE.

Is there a way to figure this out easily for every chord?

Corrected the URL, try it again.

I'm experimenting with different tunings (full step down, etc.), and I am looking for a site or chart that will show the chord shapes for each step down of tuning. For example, I know that a G chord shape in GCEA is a D chord shape in DGBE.

Is there a way to figure this out easily for every chord?

Yes. I have my best tenor permanently tuned down a full step (tone). You will eventually be able to do this in your head, but for now look at this list of all the chords. It doesn't matter if they are major or minor (a major chord remains major when it is transposed).

C C# D Eb E F F# G Ab A Bb B C C# D Eb E etc.

Here's what you do:

If your uke is tuned down in Bb tuning, count 2 chords to the left and that will tell you what chord you are playing e.g. chord of G in standard tuning is a chord of F in Bb tuning.

If you want to play along with someone playing a uke in standard tuning, you need to count 2 chords to the right to play along with them e.g. If they are playing D followed by Bm, you play E followed by C#m.

To do the same for a guitar part (or baritone uke), you need to count left or right 5 chords. Remember, it depends on whether you want to know what you are playing or what to play when someone else is playing with you and using a different tuning.

It is complicated, but I hope this helps.

KEN

Thanks Ken and Miso....
Exactly what I needed!

Top Bottom