The most fun I have had with my uke so far

artwombat

Reaction score
I just tried stringing together same basic chords with a slow strum and do a slow talk-over ad lib.

Wow, it might not sound good but it is good fun.

The uke fills in the gaps if I need to think about what to say next.

What sort of things - well it was just me here, but I told the kids to clean their teeth and go to bed tomorrow is Easter yada yada yada I can't remember the rest.

How good is that I don't have to even remember the words or the chords I can change them every time, and it is talking not singing which suits me fine.

I just did another one and started with : -

Our doggy has farted then yada yada yada

I see it like "ships passing in the night" you had to be there, nothing much to tell after the event.

It must have a name????

Good for you! Freeform poetry to background music! (or Mommy / Daddy uke rap depending on your gender)

Thanks UM, a new catchy name might be a good idea tho.

It could start a trend, even if it is only used as a self amusement practice buddy.

One way it sounds good to me is when I only talk while strumming a C chord and keep quiet when I play other chords.

I am sure I will find more ways of doing it, but I will stick with this for a while.

Rap can have it's rapping I will stick with ???

One way it sounds good to me is when I only talk while strumming a C chord and keep quiet when I play other chords.

I am sure I will find more ways of doing it, but I will stick with this for a while.

Rap can have it's rapping I will stick with ???

Remembering back to when you first joined the forum here on UU, and were not sure if you wanted to take up the uke, it is very nice to see you getting a chance to play and explore all the options yourself first-hand.

I know that there is a 'style' of music called 'spoken word' which is different from the sampled instruments laid over a hip-hop beat with rhythmically spoken lyrics of a subject matter typically dealing with urban street life, a.k.a. RAP 'music'....

maybe you can explore the 'spoken word' style, see here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoken_word

By your description it seems you are rendering the words based upon your 'stream of consciousness', and while not totally random, they are inspired by events and/or your immediate surroundings...

It seems like a great cathartic activity for you.

Cool. Free verse with chords under it.... I can dig it.

that is somethign I just cannot do - talk while playing. I know a lot of people who can hold a conversation while playing whatever there instrument is [as long as it isn't a mouth blown wind instrument]. But I get confused by the rhythm of the music, even if I tried to 'conduct' to something someone else is playing.

Remembering back to when you first joined the forum here on UU, and were not sure if you wanted to take up the uke, it is very nice to see you getting a chance to play and explore all the options yourself first-hand.

I know that there is a 'style' of music called 'spoken word' which is different from the sampled instruments laid over a hip-hop beat with rhythmically spoken lyrics of a subject matter typically dealing with urban street life, a.k.a. RAP 'music'....

maybe you can explore the 'spoken word' style, see here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoken_word

By your description it seems you are rendering the words based upon your 'stream of consciousness', and while not totally random, they are inspired by events and/or your immediate surroundings...

It seems like a great cathartic activity for you.

Thanks Booli

Not sure about the cathartic tho.

I think I shall never call myself a uke musician maybe a player.

I checked out a few of the suggestions above.

I see myself as more light-hearted or humorous rather than having a serious message or something to bemoan. Just a bit of fun,

First rule of uke - have fun!

When I am playing and my kids come up and ask me things I often reply by singing my answer heh! They get quiet a kick out of it.

I think the most fun I can rmember having was when I played for a family that was crying for their dad. We all sat around his bed, I played, they sang with me. He even smiled a bit, they all stopped crying, and I got a nice letter from my boss that they had written after he passed. This actually happened a couple of times....

That sounds really fun. I need to try that, since my singing voice has a lot father to go than my strumming. This last week I've taken to strumming away at chords and throwing them together sort of randomly. A couple times I stood at the top of the stairs and chatted with the wife about something and kept on strumming away. She was impressed, and even said so. I think that if you want to learn to play the ukulele, you just learn some basics and start playing. Then just let it grow at its own pace. Anyway, that has been my approach. We are having fun though, aren't we? If we aren't, time to rethink it.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Also a bit like the song "Alice's Restaurant" Where the majority of it is just a spoken story with some guitar strumming in the background.

Maybe there should be a thread something like "The Most Fun You've Had With Your Ukulele . . . In fact, I'm going to do it now

bobinde

GaryC is the master of rapping with his uke (he's a member here too). His uke-rapping always make me smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqhbdgvyG18&list=UUmegQZysqoz86JdjeG1Cwbw

I found this video randomly while surfing youtube. He did a great job making that song his own. Did not know he was a memeber here. Word to yer mother GaryC!

So my answer to the question posed is this. I have only been playing a few months, but lately I have been taking chord progressions from other songs and putting my own strum pattern and just kind of adlibbing my own song. One night I was doing that for a good 15-20 minutes without stopping. My wife gave me applause and told me "not bad". Then she asked what was that......"my own creation"!

Ok...so while writing this response I was listening to GaryC doing "Ice Ice Baby", it ends and youtube queues up the next song by Gary....."Dead Puppies"! Bizarre and funny all at the same time! I have never heard this song before. Too funny!

Top Bottom