PDA

View Full Version : Finger Picking Tutorial? and various other questions

lindsayshae123
04-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Hi! I'm just starting to play the ukulele, and I know a few chords so far and can (very roughly) play a few songs. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good video tutorials to begin learning finger picking! Share if you do!
Also, any tips for getting the hang of singing and playing? I tend to confuse either my strumming or my chords or the singing when I try to put them together!
Do you guys use straps on your ukes or do you just hold them without the extra support?
I think that's all. Thank you all so much!

PhilUSAFRet
04-19-2014, 12:45 AM
Lots of them here on UU and on YouTube. I personally like Del Rey's "Blue Uke" DVD

billten
04-19-2014, 02:52 AM
My favorites are Ukulele aerobics and uncle rob's bootcamp methods.

wodan22
04-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Rob MacKillop's books and youtube vids are pretty good.

TG&Y
04-28-2014, 02:49 PM
If by 'finger picking' you mean playing individual notes, then good luck and best wishes. If, on the other hand, you mean finger picking patterns, then I recommend this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohsIHap2Nik

It caused me to finally start working at trying this picking pattern business. Really suck at it, but it's cool.

I put proper straps on all my ukuleles except the two I haven't figured out how to wrangle strap buttons onto yet - and those two have ribbons tied on to make straps.

I'd say 'welcome to the forum', but I see you joined in 2012. A lot to be said for brevity.

LloydAZ
04-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Get yourself a copy of the book "Ukulele Aerobics." There are a lot of finger picking exercises in it as well as strumming, chords, riffs, etc...

Some people use straps on their ukes, others don't. I have the Uke Leash on my soprano and concert ukes, but I mostly play sitting down so I don't attach it that often. I do want to get a strap for my banjolele though because it is quite a bit heavier than my other ukes. Overall, it's just a personal choice.

janeray1940
04-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Do you guys use straps on your ukes or do you just hold them without the extra support?

Straps on them all, even the sopranos. I play mainly fingerstyle and not having to worry about supporting the uke makes it all a lot easier for me. Plus, I like having the option of standing.

bunnyf
04-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Check out Aldrine's vid here on UU, he covers picking patterns, also a tutorial on singing and playing. Lots of good song tutorials too, where he clearly shows you how to play some "twiddly bits". Search here for other threads on playing and singing (some good advice previously given). My suggestion is to start w a song that you truly know cold (one where the melody and lyrics are second nature to you) and one that also has a simple repetitive and slow 3 or 4 chord progression (something like Stand By Me). It will make it easier to put it all together. And yes to the strap. I have them on most of my ukes. I like the support they give me. They get rid of some of the tension you can get in your arms from holding the uke and I also find it is easier fretting and gives me more freedom of movement. Sometimes though, I find them in the way and too much trouble to take off, if I'm just grabbing one for some quick noodling on the couch and I'll reach for a naked one instead.

The Big Kahuna
04-29-2014, 08:09 PM
One of the best videos for beginner fingerpicking is this one by awesome Gordon Mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua09ck2lWQY