C-string not fitting in the nut (How to make it?)

Portico

Reaction score
Took these photos with my phone to try to show the problem here. My Aquila C String is too thick to rest in the groove, and my intonation is slightly sharp when fretted.

I'm worried about filing it wider myself and was hoping somebody would be able to give me some tips on how to make this nut groove slightly a little bit wider without ruining the nut or doing anything drastic. Thanks

7iS2HA8.jpg

hhQQJed.jpg

If it's any consolation that's a very common problem on "factory" ukes, most of which have molded plastic nuts that are never touched by human hands. That's why we always recommend purchasing from a dedicated uke dealer who sets them up - one of the things involved in a setup is making sure that things like that are taken care of.

But, since you have the uke and need it to be right...there are two things to look at.

First, those appear to be Aquila strings, which are fairly "fat." You could try some fluorocarbon strings. Fluorocarbon is more dense so the strings tend to be a little thinner for a given pitch and tension. Often, just putting fluorocarbon strings on will make the C string fit the slot better (though once the string is in the slot the slot may still need lowering to be really right - that applies to all the strings).

If you like the strings that are on it, it's time to break out some very fine (320 grit or finer) wet-or-dry sandpaper. Using something very thin but stiff (like a small knife blade) to support the sandpaper, carefully work the sides of the slot a little at a time. Try not to let the sandpaper touch the bottom of the slot too much because until the string is seating you don't know if you need to remove material there or not. If the bottom of the slot is lowered too much the string will buzz when played open.

Or, if you have a good ukulele dealer nearby, you could take it to them. It's about a two minute job for someone with the correct files.

Oh, and welcome to UU, btw.
John

If it's any consolation that's a very common problem on "factory" ukes, most of which have molded plastic nuts that are never touched by human hands. That's why we always recommend purchasing from a dedicated uke dealer who sets them up - one of the things involved in a setup is making sure that things like that are taken care of.

But, since you have the uke and need it to be right...there are two things to look at.

First, those appear to be Aquila strings, which are fairly "fat." You could try some fluorocarbon strings. Fluorocarbon is more dense so the strings tend to be a little thinner for a given pitch and tension. Often, just putting fluorocarbon strings on will make the C string fit the slot better (though once the string is in the slot the slot may still need lowering to be really right - that applies to all the strings).

If you like the strings that are on it, it's time to break out some very fine (320 grit or finer) wet-or-dry sandpaper. Using something very thin but stiff (like a small knife blade) to support the sandpaper, carefully work the sides of the slot a little at a time. Try not to let the sandpaper touch the bottom of the slot too much because until the string is seating you don't know if you need to remove material there or not. If the bottom of the slot is lowered too much the string will buzz when played open.

Or, if you have a good ukulele dealer nearby, you could take it to them. It's about a two minute job for someone with the correct files.

Oh, and welcome to UU, btw.
John

Thanks. Yes, this Uke was on sale at another dedicated Uke dealer for the same price - but they charged postage and the (a general music store) other site didn't! Looking back of course I would've paid that extra however much for the shipping if they did a full set up - but - I don't think it's a simple job because...
- the intonation seems worse nearer the 12/11/10th frets, where the string is really raised. This Ohana Uke is set up with the strings probably further away from the fretboard than most Ukes I've seen, so that extra height really kicks in on the C close to the 12th, where the strings are all higher anyway. So my feeling is making the groove in the nut a little wider may not solve the problem further down the fret board - in fact may cause more problems.

I love the sound these Aquilas make with this Ohana, full and deep and rich, I just wish the C string they made wasn't so thick. Beginner question here - could I just replace the C string with another type (possibly thinner) of nylon, and leave the rest?

Do yourself a major favor and take it to a local guitar shop that has a service department. They have the right tools to set all the strings at a proper height so you can enjoy your new ukulele. As mentioned, this is a 2 or 3 minute job for a luthier and, if they are like the folks I know that do this kind of work, they'll do it while you wait/watch and send you on your way............slip 'em a ten dollar bill for being so accommodating!

I got some of them off ebay...i'de recommend them to anyone....

Those are NOT nut files. That is a tip cleaner for a torch set. They work but if you want true nut files they are much more expensive.

Those are NOT nut files. That is a tip cleaner for a torch set. They work but if you want true nut files they are much more expensive.

:agree: If you are only going to do a couple of ukes and the nuts are plastic those will do. If you anticipate doing several ukes and especially if the nut is Tusq or bone...a real nut file will pay for itself. I say "a" real nut "file" (i.e. singular) because Stewmac offers a double sided file sized .026 & .032" and it will suffice for all uke work except unwound low-G and baritone strings. For that you'll want to add a second file, the one sized .036 & .042". So, for $25 or $50 you can be all set to do setups like a pro.

Edit: Actually, I should have said you'll be set up to adjust nut slots like a pro. Sometimes it's necessary to file and recrown the frets and that takes a couple of more tools to do it well.

John

Top Bottom