I feel like an idiot

IAmTheWalrus

Reaction score
well, a while back I did. Before Christmas I was looking for my first ukulele at a music store where I take gutiar lessons.

I went inside and said "so I'm looking to but a ukulele" to the lady (I've known her a while)

and she laughed right in my face :(
literally, she cracked up with laughter and said "hahah do you want to be Tiny Tim?!" and I felt so stupid

why is the ukulele a joke to some people?! whats so funny about it?

Whenever that happens to me, I bust out a well know song that people don't associate with the uke and it usually shuts them up. Stairway to heaven seems to do the trick...

Some people have no respect for the instrument, they think it's a toy, a joke, it's a crappy instrument to be good at. Show that disrespectful !@#$%^&* a video of some serious uking and see what she says.

I can't believe she laughed to your face! Made fun of you :(

If it was a dude I would have walked over and picked up the cheapest uke I could find and bust it over his head, then pay for it and walk out :D

I would have said "No George Harrison" then smirked. People are ignorant sometimes... I like to mention that Jason Mraz and Jack Johnson both play the ukulele too form time to time depending on who I am talking too...

well, a while back I did. Before Christmas I was looking for my first ukulele at a music store where I take gutiar lessons.

I went inside and said "so I'm looking to but a ukulele" to the lady (I've known her a while)

and she laughed right in my face :(
literally, she cracked up with laughter and said "hahah do you want to be Tiny Tim?!" and I felt so stupid

why is the ukulele a joke to some people?! whats so funny about it?

You should have said, "Yes. I do. Would you like to go tiptoe through the tulips with me?" That'd shut her up.

;)

You should have said, "Yes. I do. Would you like to go tiptoe through the tulips with me?" That'd shut her up.

;)

Or say "Why, what's wrong with Tiny Tim?!" and stared at her with big eyes. And if she said anything else, (sorry, middle schooler...) say "yeah? well you can't lick your ELBOW!"

That lady shouldn't be working in a music store if she's going to make fun of a very legitimate instrument. :rolleyes:

I would have said, "Obviously you've never heard of Jake Shimabukuro..." and shown her a video.

Last year, I drove down to SD with some fellow fans to watch the Chargers play and during the trip, I'm yours came on the radio an I told the group "hey I know how to play that on the ukulele". The truck got silent for about 3 seconds and everybody busted laughing. They couldnt figure out why a grown man would be playing with a toy guitar:music:... After a few minute of trying to defend myself.. I just gave up... Good thing I'm an ukulele players or else I would have kicked some @$$es:shaka:

yeah...she shouldnt be working in a music store if she laughs at that...she shouldnt be in retail if she mocks what could bring her business. my senior year in high school i first expressed to my friends that i wanted to get an uke and learn how to play and they laughed at the thought of a big guy like me playing such a small instrument. now that i got an uke and can play, it's not so much of a joke.

i think mainstream musicians like jason mraz and jack johnson are helping in getting the ukulele community some respect. its only a matter of time, i think.

Man dont go gett'n your nickers in a twist when peopl laugh or smile when they here the word Ukulele,,, there's really no other instrument that has this effect on people,, go with it man,,, spread the luv,,, not faces,,haha

Dude, you should definately learn a REAL fast paced song, come back like 3 months later and blow her away. Say 'yea...I;m just like Tiny Tim' and walk out.;)

Man dont go gett'n your nickers in a twist when peopl laugh or smile when they here the word Ukulele,,, there's really no other instrument that has this effect on people,, go with it man,,, spread the luv,,, not faces,,haha

If this was YouTube, I would have pressed the +1 on this comment.

Forget the clever responses or the "show them Jake on YouTube" (not very likely in the middle of a store. Ask to talk to her manager, explain to him/her that you are a customer who is/was willing to spend money in the store but isn't willing to be ridiculed for your choice of instrument. Ask if the manager agrees that his/her employee's mode of communication with her customers is appropriate. Then, depending on the manager's response, decide at that point whether you wish to continue your relationship with that establishment.

It's not about the instrument. It's about how an employee chooses to treat her customers. The manager SHOULD know about it.

Forget the clever responses or the "show them Jake on YouTube" (not very likely in the middle of a store. Ask to talk to her manager, explain to him/her that you are a customer who is/was willing to spend money in the store but isn't willing to be ridiculed for your choice of instrument. Ask if the manager agrees that his/her employee's mode of communication with her customers is appropriate. Then, depending on the manager's response, decide at that point whether you wish to continue your relationship with that establishment.

Where's the fun in that? :D

Seriously, though, you have a point.

Top Bottom