Electric Ukulele?

pixiepurls

Reaction score
I am researching these, I plan to sell my fender squire (won't get much for it!) and get an electric ukulele. I would like something that does not look like a standard ukulele. I know about the Epiphone les paul, that seems like the cheapest option.

I think between $100-$300 is my range.

I saw the east-start thread on here but don't really know anything about them and their website has "add to cart" but I can't find the cart to check the prices...

Let me know your favorite electric uke (thats not 2 grand, heh).

THIS ONE is my absolute favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqo4IY4yDKc

but I can't afford that :) I love the sound of it (and its pretty but the sound is the best part).

I know I could put a pickup in a regular nice ukulele but I want something that looks more like a guitar and is flater. Concert or Tenor size.

This one is sweet but I don't think you can actually buy it anyplace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptmXryifTD4

...that seems like the cheapest option.

Many uke models have pick-ups. is that what you mean by electric?

Cheapest: not necessarily the best choice. Might be worth saving for a better model.

i agree with ian, cheap esp with electric stuff is not a good idea. The les paul looks cool but it almost seems gimmicky to me, they arent that bad people seem to like them. I know you are looking for a look but maybe just buy a nice looking ukulele and add a pickup. kala has one i know its a lil pricer (300 cdn at stores)(not sure what it would cost where u r maybe cheaper) but has that look, though the pickups are bad (so i have read) so thats an extra cost if u want quality. http://www.kalabrand.com/Models/Kala/Archtop/DetailsPageArchtop.html

as well check used, you never know what iis out there that might be closer to your budget.

I would say that the Les Paul is actually really well built for the money. The electronics are passive and are really usable. Epiphone really makes good instruments at the right price. It is an under saddle pickup which means you get mostly string sound which I personally prefer as the chances of getting feedback are much smaller. But I think you seem to be looking for a steel string instrument, then the expensive but beautiful Risa Les Paul models would be what you should look at, but that means tripling your budget I think. Anyway I think the Epiphone Les Paul is good value for money, and might be just what you need ;).

Plus one for the Epiphone Les Paul. Most people who actually have one, love them. Incredibly good value for money and they sound decent too. Very well made and finished, but obviously not a £1000 uke, they sell for under £100 in the UK. Have you considered a Risa Concert Stick ? Quirky and again, superbly made and finished and sounds really good plugged in, although maybe more than you wanted to spend. Some standard acoustic ukes can also sound good through an added pickup if that is something you want to consider - not sure if you are interested in electro acoustics though, or just the electrics which look like electric guitars - There are really cheap electrics out there like the Mahalo or the Vintage electric guitar lookalikes - probably best avoided. The stand out value for money in my opinion, though, has to be the Epiphone Les Paul - it really is a lovely little thing and so well made -costs relatively little and can be improved upon very simply (just look up old threads here on the Les Paul). Added to which, its a REAL Les Paul in miniature - what's not to like?

Last edited:
I don't think these K-Waves are produced anymore, but they still become available used, on occasion. They are not steel strung, like the one you like, but they are acoustic/electric, and have a pick-up. They resemble a Fender Telecaster guitar, and were available in several colors..

I love mine, and everyone else I've spoken to that has one loves theirs, as well....

attachment.php

K-Wave.jpg

The only way to get a price from East-Start is by their online quote step, that's how I started the group buy. They told me a single uke would be $400 plus shipping, but order 20 at one time and they're $165 each, plus shipping. They are the Kamoa Evolve, which sells for $600 to $750 retail.

i agree with ian, cheap esp with electric stuff is not a good idea. The les paul looks cool but it almost seems gimmicky to me, they arent that bad people seem to like them. I know you are looking for a look but maybe just buy a nice looking ukulele and add a pickup.

That is exactly what I don't want to do. Its not rock and roll enough for me :)

The kala isn't terrible looking but it doesn't look like an electric guitar. I have an electric guitar but its huge, and heavy and has 6 strings, hah.

Last edited:
Many uke models have pick-ups. is that what you mean by electric?

Cheapest: not necessarily the best choice. Might be worth saving for a better model.

cheapest in that you don't have to BUY a new Uke, just the pickup which I understand a good quality one is not cheap either but certainly cheaper then a new ukulele with a good one in it :) its more economical to add one to an existing ukulele but I want the look as well as the sound. :)

As for electric vs acoustic/electric I think what I really want is electric only but I'm open if the look is right. One I can also put headphones into with nothing else and listen to myself play is a plus too, to practice quietly.

Last edited:
The only way to get a price from East-Start is by their online quote step, that's how I started the group buy. They told me a single uke would be $400 plus shipping, but order 20 at one time and they're $165 each, plus shipping. They are the Kamoa Evolve, which sells for $600 to $750 retail.

Oh man, thats a nice price in the group buy.

gibson made a bunch of electrics that had the arch top vintage 50s vibe, but you are looking more like flying v style
That is exactly what I don't want to do. Its not rock and roll enough for me :)

The kala isn't terrible looking but it doesn't look like an electric guitar. I have an electric guitar but its huge, and heavy and has 6 strings, hah.

cheapest in that you don't have to BUY a new Uke, just the pickup which I understand a good quality one is not cheap either but certainly cheaper then a new ukulele with a good one in it :) its more economical to add one to an existing ukulele but I want the look as well as the sound. :)

As for electric vs acoustic/electric I think what I really want is electric only but I'm open if the look is right. One I can also put headphones into with nothing else and listen to myself play is a plus too, to practice quietly.

the les paul is prob ur best bet then, but it is partially acoustic so then you enter the headphone delemina. do you want it for the look or for the quiet or a lil of both?

Whatever happened to Teton? http://www.tetonguitars.com/steu102/
Nylon strings but definitely not acoustic.

Mims has one on her/their site but it says they are not going to be carrying them anymore.

Looking for something different looking you say. I have one of these.
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/mahalo-ue-30n-electric-ukulele-and-gigbag--MUE30N.htm

Elderly did a nice set up and it's fun to play and sounds good.

Cute but not classic rock and roll enough for me :)

Here's a new one by Eleuke for around $250 give or take. Only listing I could find...new model.

Top Bottom