The six and eight

Icelander53

Reaction score
How many of you fine folk here have a six or eight string uke in your collection and more importantly do you really find you use it often enough to justify it? Along with that some of you here can talk about the differences in usages of the 6 vs 8 string. I'd love to hear your views on these type ukes. I have the chance to acquire an eight and don't really know enough about them to go for it. I do like the sound of the 8 strings I've heard on HMS. What say you all?

How many of you fine folk here have a six or eight string uke in your collection and more importantly do you really find you use it often enough to justify it? Along with that some of you here can talk about the differences in usages of the 6 vs 8 string. I'd love to hear your views on these type ukes. I have the chance to acquire an eight and don't really know enough about them to go for it. I do like the sound of the 8 strings I've heard on HMS. What say you all?

I've owned two of both. Currently own one 8 stringer (cheap one) and will eventually buy a 6 stringer again. The 6 is my favorite uke.
They are not for everyone. I strongly suggest you play one before you buy one.

I had an 8-string for a very short period of time. It was cheap but was set up very well and had excellent intonation. Plugged in it had good sound but acoustically it was like playing a wet dog.

To me the sound was just too "busy" and I never warmed up to it. I gave it to a friend who loves it.

If you are like most you will probably find that you either love playing an 8-string or hate it. As @Yukon says, try before you buy.

I recently got into 5-string (octave G) ukes but there I had a specific reason for the one doubled course and I like it so well that I don't see myself going back to four string tenors. However, I am almost certain that I would still not like an 8-string.

On the other hand, I know people who absolutely love playing even cheap 8-string ukes. Again, try before you buy.

John

I started out wanting an 8 string, heard a 6 string concert, and ended up with a Pono 6 string tenor refurb. Much of the chime of an 8 string. I still covet a nice concert 6 string though. As far as 8 strings go, bang for the buck, I'd have to pick up one of the new Ohana 8 string all solid tenors. Course, I have seen a couple of gently used Pono 8 strings in the last few weeks that were awfully tempting. One of the better examples here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pono-Tenor-...510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3f55cf3e

The other one was gloss.

I had an 8-string for about a month, 2 years ago. It was difficult to play - I found the doubled courses required more pressure + at the time wasn't used to the tenor scale of the one I had. That's one kind of uke I don't mind listening to, but don't find worth playing myself. I'm tempted by a 5- or 6-string uke though. The 8- I had, if anything, was fine for strumming and not much else. At least not in my hands at the time, and I wouldn't get another one.

My go to ukulele is a 6 string and I love it. I have it tuned reentrant with octave c and double a and I interlock a lot. I like a six better than an eight, but that's just personal preference. It does take a little more effort to fret the doubled courses. Try them before you buy them.

I've recently been toying with the idea of buying an 8 string.

This one, to be precise:

IbanezRM8.jpg

Two things are certain:

1. I will buy one (not necessarily this exact model, but it will be an 8 string and it will be an Ibanez)

2. It will be a long time before you'll want to hear me play it ;)

Then again...it only needs another two strings, then it's a Chapman Stick...hmmmmmm

I gave Tamara (my fiance) a Kamaka 8 string for Chirstmas....it's her go to uke. She plays 12 string guitar, tho, and has very strong hands, so fretting it is no biggie for her. It has a bold sound, and is a tenor, so it reminds me of a cross between a guitar and a mandolin....but I cant' play it for boo...when it gets new strings and the koa opens up, she won't need an amplifier, that's for sure!

Have both and my 8 has the most play time . . .

I had a Lanikai 8-string. Was nice, but it's a sound that doesn't always go with my music. And a bit of a pain to tune. I sold it, but now I wish I hadn't... but then I wish that of every uke I've sold....

What is that 8 if I may ask?

I'm looking at a Pono right now.

Hey Ashland...I have a Peter Howlett all Hawaiian koa 8 string and it's my "kanikapila" go to uke! I can hear it over the ____ of other players...and it sounds great. Probably won't be your practice or beater uke though...too loud.
Had a couple of lesser 6-8's but didn't keep them.
That Pono on ebay looks good. If you look at sellers other items, they're all Pono's. I believe he buys them from the Ko'olau factory as seconds and refurbishes. Only thing I don't like is the shipping.
Stop by when you're in the area...

I've recently been toying with the idea of buying an 8 string.

This one, to be precise:

View attachment 66062

Nice! I've got an Ibanez hard-tail 7-string. Never really have done much with it, though, as I switched to playing bass in the band not long after. In fact, I bought the 7-string because we didn't have a bass player at the time and I was trying to add a little bottom. Finally decided WTH, we need a bassist and I'm the most mediocre of the three guitarists, I'll switch. Discovered I love holding down the bottom and I don't think I'd switch back now if they begged me too (the likelihood of which, is, frankly, extraordinarily small).

I play a five string bass and have been jonesin' for a 6 or 7 string bass for a while now but haven't found the right one.

John

What is that 8 if I may ask?

I'm looking at a Pono right now.
-
The label says "Nice" and I believe it was made in the P.I. and finished in Hawai'i. My brother got it for me, I'd guess almost 10-11 years ago from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet and Flea Market. My 6 is a GString that I got at the factory in Halawa Valley.

I refer 4 strings...but that is me...ha ha I've had 2 8 stringers and did not use them much and I still own two 6 stringers and they dont get played much...
good probally for group playing rhythm and all...stick to the four and save your money...
@Danny, is that a nice ukulele 8stringer with a musubi soundhole before Koaloha made them....hmmm nice

Not musubi soundhole, the shape supposed to be mountain apple, das what made it different.

I have white label Kamaka 8 string tenor, strung with Worth clears. I play it occasionally, when I need a change of pace in sound. I recently tried flat picking it and it sounds pretty cool like that.

Top Bottom