Wrist Strengthing Device (It works!)

Littlegman

Reaction score
This product has been around for decades. I remember it being marketed in the 70’s as the “Dyna –bee” (“As Seen on TV!”). Not surprisingly, it lives on to this day, virtually unchanged!

This from a vendor: “The Finer Fitness Dyna-Flex Power Ball has an internal gyroscope that spins and rotates against internal resistance to increase the RPMs. The power ball is great for building up wrist strength as well as fret-hand and strumming-hand strength and dexterity. “

Back then, I only saw it for its sport applications where wrist strength was important: baseball and kung fu. Apparently, the activities for which this will provide benefits are endless, including fretting and strumming!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/finger-fitness-dyna-flex-power-ball

Apparently, the activities for which this will provide benefits are endless, including fretting and strumming!

Actually fretting and strumming are all you really need to get better at uke. I'm not sure there is that much wrist strength needed for uke that can't be gained by actually fretting and strumming!

I'd use the $25 to get a songbook or instructional DVD or a lesson. :D

:confused: - if you need wrist strength you're not playing with good technique and posture - that applies to guitar, uke, bass, mandolin, etc.

A certain amount of wrist flexibility in the right hand is needed for strumming - but nothing that most of the population doesn't already have.

John

Regarding “wrist strength” as not being a prerequisite for enhanced ukulele technique, I will offer that “wrist strength” (wrist health) is certainly not a detriment to strumming/fretting. I have actually used this product (on/off ) for years, and the latest benefit I have gained is… with my swimming! Not surprisingly, I am pulling “heavier water” with my stroke. That cliché, “It’s all in the wrists,” has a resounding ring of truth to it. Now applied to the ukulele, not only are my wrists healthier, but so are my fingers! My wife, who does not play, now uses this to address her carpal tunnel syndrome. “Wrist health” is an asset to quality of life, especially in one’s advanced years.

I have spent over $100.00 in the past two years chasing the perfect string set, but no post-ukulele-purchase can come close to this $25.00 “gamble.” Not having any financial stake in the consumption of this product, I simply offer this to all UU members for their own consideration. As a triathlete in a former incarnation many years ago, it’s just another proven (in my own personal experience) example of an effective “cross-training” tool.

The foundational aspects for healthy ukulele playing (open mind, non-judgment, spirit of sharing, healthy wrists (!)) are also foundations for a healthier and more fulfilling life. You’ve already discovered the ukulele, it’s all gravy now!

My wrists are already strong enough for uking to the point that my wife tells me to cut it out.

I have two of these; have used them off and on for over 20 years. While I would agree that nobody really needs this sort of workout in order to play the uke, I beleve that I have kept my wrists and forearms strong by using them.

On a cautionary note however, the amount of lateral resistance created by these devices is considerable. Anyone who chooses to use one runs a risk of starting out too aggressively and actually straining the smaller wrist muscles and connective tissue. I have long since lost the written material that came with mine, but my guess is that there are warnings regarding over use.

Top Bottom