A Quandary, Have You Been There?

WashAshore

Reaction score
I've been playing for Uke for 7-8 weeks, have a Concert, Tenor and a Baritone. I thought I wanted
a Soprano until I played one, didn't like it. I know I should play more than one but the small small body
did nothing for me. So now I'm thinking mandolin, banjo or four string cigar box. I play alone so
projection and quality tone is not an issue. Have you found yourself in a similar situation-what did you do?

Use the shotgun approach..........just keep buying. Something will step up and suprise you.

Like you I just started playing about 8 weeks ago. I started with the concert, then bought a cheap soprano which got replaced with a better one (the cheap one going to my friends daughter who fell in love with it) and finally a concert Banjolele. I eventually want to get a tenor, maybe a baritone at some point. Another friend just bought a mandolin that he's been playing around with for the past few days. We restrung it this weekend (that was a task!) He eventually wants to get a banjo as well.

Just pick up different instruments in the music store and see how they feel to you. See which ones you love and appeal to you.

I've been playing for Uke for 7-8 weeks, have a Concert, Tenor and a Baritone. I thought I wanted
a Soprano until I played one, didn't like it. I know I should play more than one but the small small body
did nothing for me. So now I'm thinking mandolin, banjo or four string cigar box. I play alone so
projection and quality tone is not an issue. Have you found yourself in a similar situation-what did you do?

Upgrade one of your other ukes :) trade it in for something really nice. Or spend money on a nice pickup for one of your existing ones. Or save the money for a vacation to hawaii :)

Upgrade one of your other ukes :) trade it in for something really nice. Or spend money on a nice pickup for one of your existing ones. Or save the money for a vacation to hawaii :)

I have a Tenor that's beyond my playing ability already. I'll take that trip to Hawaii if I can do for
around a hundred bucks, the cost of another instrument.

I have been playing guitar (badly) for about thirty years. I have no real talent, I just like making noise.
Why stink at one instrument when I can stink on a few?

After playing guitar for for almost 50 years, I started playing ukulele about 10 months ago. My first was unknowingly a soprano and very quickly realized it was too small and found that tenor is my size. Within the two weeks I bought three, and over the next three months ended up with eight, mainly because they were really good deals, and I liked the looks of them.

Then I started getting much better and in doing so, realized the shortcomings of the ones I bought, so I traded in three for a much better one. (But my UAS, ukulele acquisition syndrome, still has a hold of me and I very seriously considering selling off a couple more and order a custom made gypsy jazz style, but what's holding me back is I'm just not sure I'm really ready for that yet, either by ability or finances.)

Gypsy uke side new.jpg

<<<custom made gypsy jazz style>>>

Kohanmike, that is a unique looking instrument--who is the maker?

Top Bottom