Are ukers that use picks frowned upon?

Minazou's Bukkit

Reaction score
I notice that almost EVERYONE finger picks and doesn't use a felt pick. Are those frowned upon in the ukulele world or something?

I notice that almost EVERYONE finger picks and doesn't use a felt pick. Are those frowned upon in the ukulele world or something?

I don't know. But I hope not - some people use picks because they have to, like my dad cuz he's old. He uses the kind that wraps around your thumb tho - I've never seen anyone use a felt pick.

Some ukers look down on others for using a pick. I don't, and I'd bet that the majority of UU'ers don't care if you use a pick either. Heck, use your big toe if that's what you want to use.

Some prefer
pk-thmbs.jpg
or even
guitar_pick_sm.jpg
and if you're comfortable using a pick, press on.

Some prefer
pk-thmbs.jpg
or even
guitar_pick_sm.jpg
and if you're comfortable using a pick, press on.

Dude! Thats are SO awesome! I knew there were like, wrap around picks but dang! Those are cool!

It's not a bad thing....
I don't see it to often though.

When I first started playing I used a pick. I could get a much clearer tone and play chords easier. It was great for when I was doing simple things.

The issue is the pick hinders you. Without access to your thumb you cannot do many strums, picking techniques, etc.

It depends on what you want to do. If a pick works for that then by all means use what works for you. :shaka:

I'll admit that using a pick is kind of against my own, personal concept of "uke-ness". One of the great things about the uke is that you can just grab it and play it. No muss, no fuss. Things like picks, straps, etc., just get in the way of that, IMNSHO. I guess I'm a bit of a purist.

But that said, if you want to use a pick, then knock yourself out. Don't let the frowners stop you.

Heck, you're going to get a lot of scoffing in this world just for playing a ukulele in the first place, pick or no pick. It ain't exactly an instrument for the kind of folks who care what other people think. :D

JJ

Personally "musicians" who frown upon others that make music in any way are not "musicians"! One needs to appreciate HOW one makes sounds flow together in a symphony that dances around the senses! So if you use a pick WHO CARES! Personally i like to feel the strings. kinda become part of the uke just to flow smoothly.

Just grow out your thumbnail, then you got your pick with you everywhere you go. My thumbnail and index nail are longer on my strumming hand. When you're not picking your uke, you can pick your nose, ha!

Well I play guitar, even electric, with my fingers, and I think some electric guitarists think I am nuts for doing that. I don't care. I can play better rhythms and get my own sort of soft organic sound that I really like by playing with fingers instead of picks or even long nails. The point is that you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable and whatever makes the sound that you like! There are advantages and disadvantages to both, really, in terms of technique. You just need to find what works for you. Even Jake has said in interviews that he used a pick growing up, then tries nails, and now he cuts his nails super short and uses the meat of his fingers. There are no wrong ways to make emusic!

???What has age got to do with it???
Finally, something I am qualified to answer. Yea!!! I guess...

I have a bit of arthritis in my fingers and picking just with my fingers leads rapidly to joint swelling. If I use a flat pick, there is no problem. You do have to experiment a bit to come up with a pick that sounds decent.

As you get older, er... stuff happens, and you adapt to it. Or not.

I use super thin flat picks (I hate the felt picks) sometimes... it depends on what song I'm playing. If it's just strumming, or if I want to strum more "guitarily" and less "ukulelely."

That makes no sense...

I use wedgie rubber picks:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Wedgie-Rubber-Guitar-Pick-110003-i1123414.gc

Gives you a nice tone, and since I've been playing guitar with a Fender flat pick so long, it just feels natural on the uke (which I've only been playing a year or so). Also gets a better tone IMHO than fingers. Of course, it limits you in some ways (I'll never play like Roy Smeck with a pick, or without one, for that matter), but it has advantages as well.

They're shaped just like a standard Fender flat pick, and come in several thicknesses and densities. I like the thin one with medium or soft density (3.1MM Medium or the 3.1MM Soft).

You will be insulted by some traditional uke players though. Just ignore them, like I do :)

i play ukulele like i play bass, i use a pick when i think its called for. and as for it being a bad thing to use a pick, look at someone like Julia Nunes and now much she has done for the ukulele. her style is to use a pick... idk im sure there was just as much of an uproar when someone started using a pick on bass.

The real question is... does anyone use a quarter or peso as a pick? :D

You know, like this guy:

zztop_gibbons.jpg

JJ

Check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH7ZSz8PnQo (hope the link works)

It shows Led Kaapana and Bob Brozman using picks. I challenge anyone to say they are not master ukulele players. And really, what does it matter who uses what? I constantly read on UU that there are no rules to playing the ukulele.

Top Bottom