Tenor A string question

wlw4

Reaction score
So, I've just been playing the uke about a year, and have an Ohana concert with living water strings and a Pono MB baritone with Southcoast LL-NWs tuned GCEA. I really love the sound of the baritone, but switching between baritone and concert is just too much for this newbie. So, I bought a new Pono Mango Tenor, and will soon sell the bari to fund the purchase. The issue is that when I got the tenor from HMS strung low-g, I immediately noticed that the trebles were much thicker and the sound just didn't ring out like my other ukes, particularly the A string.

I got some LML-RWs from southcoast ukes, which really helped with the resonance. The only gnawing issue is the A string. For me I find that it tends to dominate when I’m strumming (the mango wood might be driving this), and its thinness seems to feel a little strange under the finger -- it's high density but very thin. I tried an A string from a Worth Clear tenor set, but it just sounded sort of dull. I also experimented using an A string from a south coast LL-NW set. The string is a bit thicker, and I like the feel, but with the lower tension, there is some loss of volume.

Anyone have any thoughts on maybe another type of strings I should try next? I was expecting the worth clears to be brighter, but I just wasn't crazy about the sound and higher tension.

Thanks!

Wythe

P.S. Oh, and I did just email Dirk from Southcoast to see if he had any ideas.

Last edited:
I use the South Coast HML-RW's...and like them
see what Dirk says

I got a set of original tenor lights for my Mele Koa tenor. Dirk had to use a slightly thicker A string on subsequent sets. Talk to Southcoast.

I tried some d'addario nyltechs yesterday and the sound is much improved. These strings have a little less tension and more volume than the worths. The note separation is also much better. In this case the 4th time was the charm...

Wythe

Top Bottom