PDA

View Full Version : Soprano/tenor strings on Concert?

Andy Chen
04-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Hi there,

Is it okay to use Soprano or Tenor strings on Concert ukes?

janeray1940
04-21-2014, 02:51 PM
I sometimes use tenor strings on my concert uke for the higher tension and greater volume, and have never had a problem. Never had a reason to try soprano strings on a concert uke, but since many string brands are sold as soprano/concert (Martin, for example) or soprano/concert/tenor (Oasis) I doubt this would be problematic either. When using heavier strings (e.g. tenor on a concert) I'm told there's the chance of the bridge pulling off, but this hasn't ever happened to me (I'll keep taking my chances!).

PhilUSAFRet
04-21-2014, 03:49 PM
With some brands, soprano and concert strings are the same diameter. As Dirk at Southcoast points out, there are optimal string diameters for any given scale length because of the tension required for each scale length. I.E. Low g most efficient on Bari, least efficient on soprano. That aside, if folks like the way they sound, they don't always worry about things like that.

Tim Mullins
04-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Most tenor sets have considerably more tension than concert sets. Note that Kamaka concert ukuleles have thinner, slot bridges and their tenors have wider, tie bridges. They evidently feel that the additional tension requires a stronger bridge. Concert ukuleles also may have lighter bracing. For the last dozen years I actually have been using concert sets on all three sizes -- they are not as floppy on a soprano (and play more in tune) and not so thick and stiff on tenor-scale instruments -- and sound good on all three.

Andy Chen
04-22-2014, 12:39 AM
Thanks for all your insights!