Best beginner and intermediate ukuleles?

Nick F

Reaction score
Hi guys, student journalist here,

I have been tasked with writing an introductory piece for those looking to jump on the ukulele bandwagon and start playing.

So, I'm trying to find out, what are the three best beginner ukuleles, and what are the three best intermediate ukuleles, for people looking to make the step up from casual play?

I must confess I don't know a whole lot about ukuleles and could probably find a great deal of information scouting Google and YouTube, however I'd rather speak to enthusiasts, people with passion who play regularly and have a good grasp of the market.

I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask but I thought I'd give it a go.

Can anyone help me out? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

What do you consider the budget for each category. That is likely going to be the factor that most controls which uke is considered beginner and which intermediate.

Check out Ukulele Hunt. It's a great site for reviews round-ups of ukes at various price points. The proprietor would also be a good person to interview. If there are any independent stores in your area that sell ukuleles, they could also be a great resource. Good luck with your article!

What do you consider the budget for each category. That is likely going to be the factor that most controls which uke is considered beginner and which intermediate.

I'm not sure to be honest. What would class as a beginner bracket uke, price-wise?

As I mentioned in my first post, I've just been given the story and thought I'd start by speaking to the enthusiasts. I'm going to continue to do my own research throughout the day, but I thought I'd start by speaking to people with a lot more knowledge than myself.

You could do a search on the forum and find lots of threads on the subject.

Forgive me, maybe I should have taken a better look around before I posted? Any particular threads you could recommend, before I start searching?

Check out Ukulele Hunt. It's a great site for reviews round-ups of ukes at various price points. The proprietor would also be a good person to interview. If there are any independent stores in your area that sell ukuleles, they could also be a great resource. Good luck with your article!

Thanks for the link and a potential interviewee, I really appreciate it. I would have never found it by myself. :)

P.S. Apologies for the double post.

Makala Dolphin or Shark are great starter ukes, lower end Kala or Lanikai's also. Kala, Lanikai and Ohana are nice for intermediate too, and fit a wide range of budgets. It all depends on how much you want to invest and if you want to care for a solid wood instrument. There are so many other brands that offer a range of price points also.

When you do some searching on this board, you will find that many of us believe that where you buy as important as what you buy, especially when purchasing an entry-level uke. Low cost ukuleles straight out of the box can vary widely in quality, even within the same brand and model, so many of us suggest buying from a dedicated ukulele seller or at least from a knowledgeable seller who will "setup" the ukulele for the buyer. Here's one seller's description of the setup process.

Great information guys, I'm already learning a lot and the links provided are proving extremely useful. It's all much appreciated I assure you.

I'm not sure to be honest. What would class as a beginner bracket uke, price-wise?

Lot's of different opinions in this area but my personal experience is that i tried playing for too long with a poor inexpensive uke and really didn't have any fun. Kept putting it down and never really 'connected' with the sound or the instrument. It wasn't until i found a 'decent' uke that i started really enjoying things and playing a lot. So my advice would be for any beginner to make a commitment and spend at least $200 for a well made and solid instrument from a reputable maker. My suggestion would be for a concert sized flea or fluke from the Magic Fluke Company either new from http://www.magicfluke.com/ or used in the marketplace here on UU. Hard to find a lemon made by them, every one i ever played has been spot on with action and intonation and if you get bored they hold their resale value very well.

I think there isnt a definition of the best beginner ukulele. I think the rule is figure out what the most money you can spend on one and find a recommended one in that area, cause quality usually help your drive to play (not saying under a certain dollar is bad). As well, tip for anyone play it because what feels right for you might not be right for others and vice versa. I know this doesn't help but....

Hi guys, student journalist here,

I have been tasked with writing an introductory piece for those looking to jump on the ukulele bandwagon and start playing.

So, I'm trying to find out, what are the three best beginner ukuleles, and what are the three best intermediate ukuleles, for people looking to make the step up from casual play?

I must confess I don't know a whole lot about ukuleles and could probably find a great deal of information scouting Google and YouTube, however I'd rather speak to enthusiasts, people with passion who play regularly and have a good grasp of the market.

I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask but I thought I'd give it a go.

Can anyone help me out? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

This

http://www.theukulelesite.com/gretsch-solid-top-tenor-cutaway-fishman-active-pickup-gig-bag.html

beginner/intermediate category This really is a best buy IMO. I have somewhat limited experience however but others will likely back me on this. The reviews have been stellar all around from what I've found. And you can go electric if that is your desire. It's a super deal and sounds really great and plays great if you get it set up. It's taken the place of my Fluke as my instrument of choice.

Nick -- where do you live? U Space in Los Angeles has a ton of 'ukuleles and has loaner ukuleles that folks use in their introductory classes.

Welcome to UU; I hope you will share the article with us when you finish it!

It is important to me that the instrument be well built, have a nice sound, and have a very good set-up (which is the adjustments made to the ukulele to make the strings play properly). Those three things are a good combination for successful playing and learning. Luckily, you can find all three of those things, to varying degrees, in many price ranges - some pretty economical price ranges as well.

Another usually dependable "cut-above" brand is Illinois-based Oscar Schmidt, which has been selling stringed instruments since 1871. The OU6 tenor is a little gem and sells for about $175 (mfr's list is $360).

Last edited:
Another usually dependable "cut-above" brand is Illinois-based Oscar Schmidt, which has been selling stringed instruments since 1871. The OU6 tenor is a little gem and sells for about $175 (mfr's list is $360).

We have a few Oscar Shmidt's in our ukulele group and they look and sound very sweet.

Lot's of different opinions in this area but my personal experience is that i tried playing for too long with a poor inexpensive uke and really didn't have any fun. Kept putting it down and never really 'connected' with the sound or the instrument. It wasn't until i found a 'decent' uke that i started really enjoying things and playing a lot. So my advice would be for any beginner to make a commitment and spend at least $200 for a well made and solid instrument from a reputable maker. My suggestion would be for a concert sized flea or fluke from the Magic Fluke Company either new from http://www.magicfluke.com/ or used in the marketplace here on UU. Hard to find a lemon made by them, every one i ever played has been spot on with action and intonation and if you get bored they hold their resale value very well.

I don't think the flea is a good first uke IMHO. Its also pretty pricey for just learning if you like something. Makala Dolphon or Makala Shark is perfect ($50 isn) and once you try for a few weeks and decide you like Ukulele, then go find a shop and try some in person, and give the Dolphin to a family member to pass on the love or keep as your backup. If you decide you don't like ukulele, give it to someone else to try. IMHO thats the best course of action. I wound up getting a $300 solid mahogany kala ukulele as my "first" after playing my daughters ukulele's for about 2 weeks. I traded in a guitar worth $80 so I spent $220. It feels worth every penny. I tried many popular ukulele's in my hands and did not like them. Its very personal there is no right answer so feel free to ignore my advice, it could be wrong for YOU :p

I would have NEVER bought such a nice ukulele if I had not first tried on the Dolpin to even see if I was interested in learning beyond a few youtube lessons. I invested in such a nice instrument because I had some perspective on what I would really do with it.

Learning on the nicer ukulele after the initial few weeks have given me perspective and I feel like it would be a very long time before I outgrow it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom