Something, something, dark side... (ordered guilele from HMS)

JonThysell

Reaction score
I've been on the fence about this purchase for months now - with the exception of an inherited tiple, all I have and play are ukes.

I don't really want to learn guitar, but I do spend a lot of time playing slack-key style on the uke. I'm hoping this gives me a better bridge to the wealth of slack-key guitar materials out there, as well as just another avenue to practice technique.

I tell myself that I don't want a guitar, but I said that about baris too. Now I own two, have bought two for others as gifts, and am about to rescue another to leave at my parents' house when I fly down to visit.

Have a I lost all of my "uke cred" at this point? Where are all the guilele fans?

"Luke, I am your father....." You have gone to the dark side! Just kidding...

I've been on the fence about this purchase for months now - with the exception of an inherited tiple, all I have and play are ukes.

I don't really want to learn guitar, but I do spend a lot of time playing slack-key style on the uke. I'm hoping this gives me a better bridge to the wealth of slack-key guitar materials out there, as well as just another avenue to practice technique.

I tell myself that I don't want a guitar, but I said that about baris too. Now I own two, have bought two for others as gifts, and am about to rescue another to leave at my parents' house when I fly down to visit.

Have a I lost all of my "uke cred" at this point? Where are all the guilele fans?

Love it, and so much more portable then a full size guitar.

I don't come from a guitar background, so I look at the standard ADGCEA guilele tuning and think - when would I ever want a low A or D? Most of the songs I play are in G, C, or F.

Anyone using a guilele with alternate tunings? I have Daniel Ho's Kilauea tuning book, and it makes a lot of sense (GCFCEA on the uke), but I don't see any other materials that use that tuning. I can always default to taropatch open C (GCGCEG) since that gets me the closest to "ready-to-play" materials but I'm interested in what other people are using.

Or are guilele players mostly coming from guitar and so bring standard guitar fingerings with them?

Or are guilele players mostly coming from guitar and so bring standard guitar fingerings with them?

That's it exactly. It lets me play the stuff I've been playing for over 35 years, but with a completely different tone.

Top Bottom