I Must Be Crazy.... Ordered a Kamaka HF2+

FrankB

Reaction score
The devil made me do it...LOL! It's actually an HF 2+, with Gotoh UPT tuners. Should be here on Friday. They seem awfully hard to find, but I found two (bought one :D ). I decided to get the Kamaka after reading many Koaloha vs Kamaka threads and posts, and listening to YouTube sound samples. Of course, each instrument has its own sound, so......

If you really want to prove you're crazy, order me one.....

If you really want to prove you're crazy, order me one.....

Oh that made me laugh..........thanks I needed that :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Another case of Uke Fever!

Bartender! Kamakas all around....LOL!

Is it Friday yet?

I, unfortunately, could not fully appreciate this. My head is going, "Big deal," but that's because I'm after a Mainland for which the funds have not yet materialized. :D In any case, if you can appreciate a Kamaka, hats off to you!

But Frank, does this mean the beloved C1K is being outranked? One can always speculate... LOL

But Frank, does this mean the beloved C1K is being outranked? One can always speculate... LOL

At the price I paid, the Kamaka better beat the Martin. :eek: :D The first C1K we bought was a gem. The rest cost me a good bit of money in shipping costs. They tend to have thuddy G notes all over the fretboard, not the least of which is the open G string. I had another one over the weekend, and as hard as I tried, I couldn't get past the thunk it made while strumming. This last one had a fretted G on the C string string that sounded like a hammer hitting a board. Oh well, I'm keeping Fedex happy.

At the price I paid, the Kamaka better beat the Martin. :eek: :D The first C1K we bought was a gem. The rest cost me a good bit of money in shipping costs. They tend to have thuddy G notes all over the fretboard, not the least of which is the open G string. I had another one over the weekend, and as hard as I tried, I couldn't get past the thunk it made while strumming. This last one had a fretted G on the C string string that sounded like a hammer hitting a board. Oh well, I'm keeping Fedex happy.

Watch out Frank, K-brands are the gateway ukes. Before you know it you'll be up to 2 custom a month habit, thinking about selling off your 401k to get a Martin 5K. :)

All kidding aside, congrats on you first Kamaka!

That's a good kind of crazy to be...

John

Hope this one works out well for you. Checked out the video on HMS and it sounds and looks awesome! Sure would like to have the finds and ability for such a beauty. Looking forward to your review.

haha..can't wait to see what you can find wrong with this one!

haha..can't wait to see what you can find wrong with this one!
I hope nothing. ;) Kamaka strings don't seem to be anyone's favorite, but string changes I can live with. My only hope is that the thuddy note is not the same as an open string. Once that's immediately determined, decent tone and volume are all I need. I would imagine Kamakas have a decent resale value, so if I change my mind a month or year from now......

if you can't live long term with a kamaka, you are one hard to please player. there's a lot of care and a lot of love put into them. i like 'em anyhow.

Crazy? Nah, sounds perfectly sane to me :)

FWIW - I've owned five Kamakas over the years. The ones I bought new, I kept - I'm pretty picky myself and have had no issues with those, but then I had the benefit of trying them in person before buying. The ones I bought second-hand, sight unseen, I resold, both times at a profit rather than a loss. Since the deluxe models are hard to find, if and when you do decide to resell, you may not even lose that much. Sounds like a win all around!

Looking forward to hearing what you think when it arrives (and when you get those awful black Kamaka strings switched out to something better - just my opinion, but they really don't do the ukes any favors).

Crazy? Nah, sounds perfectly sane to me :)

FWIW - I've owned five Kamakas over the years. The ones I bought new, I kept - I'm pretty picky myself and have had no issues with those, but then I had the benefit of trying them in person before buying. The ones I bought second-hand, sight unseen, I resold, both times at a profit rather than a loss. Since the deluxe models are hard to find, if and when you do decide to resell, you may not even lose that much. Sounds like a win all around!

Looking forward to hearing what you think when it arrives (and when you get those awful black Kamaka strings switched out to something better - just my opinion, but they really don't do the ukes any favors).

Yup.... Your posts regarding Kamakas played a big part in my decision to buy one. MM Stan, Guitharsis and others have led me down this path. :D Stan posted a few times that Oasis strings are it for Kamakas, and I have plenty of those. So thanks to everyone on this forum. :)

Here's a little something for those who like to hit the refresh button, and track packages....LOL
image.jpg

Top Bottom