"Today" a great song to learn the flow of chord transitions

ukemunga

Reaction score
This is a familiar song to the more chronologically advanced among us and I find it to be a kind of go-to chord pattern.

One of the things I like about it is the way you get the feel of making smooth chord transitions with the index finger anchored in place between the Dm and G7, and the G7, F, G7 changes.

It's also very easy to figure out simple finger picking patterns.

More than 3 chords but they are all pretty easy fingerings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teHe-JIj7EY

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/w...1944-06-06=always&url=&transpose=&tuning=GCEA

Last edited:
ukemunga, That was a popular song at a YMCA camp where I worked as a camp counselor in the 70's.

Thanks for sharing, I'll include that in my next uke class.

Oh yes!
It only adds 2 easy chords to the 4 rock n roll chords which surely everyone learns first.
A great next step would be to learn the rnr chords in G or D, e.g., then add the new chords to play "Today". And they might not even be new.
Of course, that's what a teacher is good for, to direct your learning so that you don't go straight from Today to Bohemian Rhapsody.

Often people new to the uke want to be able to play something decently to show it off a little for friends but are reluctant due to how difficult it is to get some real flow to their songs in the beginning. With this they can pull it off to some extent and at least quiet the friends who keep asking for them to "well then show me something" :D

Wow, I remember that song from when I was a kid.. I'd forgotten all about it.
It definitely reminds me of camp. I wonder why it is that I have been so drawn to camp songs when learning to play... I think Take me Home Country Roads was like the 3-4th song I learned to satisfy camp nostalgia.

Thanks for highlighting this song. It's one of my absolute favorites to play!

Top Bottom