NUD anyway...

bigphil

Reaction score
Well my East Start uke is who knows where but it's still NUD for me. I just returned from 11 days in Hawaii which was pretty darn uke-tastic. I met Jake Shimabukuro, god of ukulele playing, met Chuck Moore, god of ukulele building and also Len & Cory up at HMS. I also took in most of the uke shops on Oahu but couldn't find any KoAloha Sceptres that I was looking for. Fortunately, we also did the KoAloha factory tour this trip and pops had a cool 7 point Sceptre tenor. Got a great deal on it as a second. It has a slight tool mark across the face just above the bridge but no big deal, you can't see it in the photo. Most Sceptre models are the usual 5 point crown, this one has 7 points on the body as well as the headstock. I was happy to find the special model and the sound is great as well. The folks up at HMS fixed me up with a case that fit it so I'm all set! Here's a pic. No problem finding something to play while waiting on the East Start to find it's way to me.

IMG_5031.jpg
IMG_20140413_182629659.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome! the East Start will be pretty insignificant compared...

Hey Phil...it was nice to meet you too....
I am glad I was hanging at HMS when you came by....so happy you visited Chuck on the Big Island...he is a one of a kind, no one like him in the uke World... :)

it was nice to met your wife too.....hope to see you again soon

yes you got really lucky with your Ko'Aloha....that uke is nice!

take care

Hey Phil...it was nice to meet you too....
I am glad I was hanging at HMS when you came by....so happy you visited Chuck on the Big Island...he is a one of a kind, no one like him in the uke World... :)

it was nice to met your wife too.....hope to see you again soon

yes you got really lucky with your Ko'Aloha....that uke is nice!

take care

Thanks Len,
It was nice meeting you too, even though you claim to not "work" at HMS you are deeply rooted in the local ukulele community and I can sense your enthusiasm. It was great making the hop to the Big Island and meeting Chuck & Bonnie as well, as you said they are very nice folks, truly one of a kind! I'm trying to recover from the trip home and get readjusted to local time. Kind of a blah day today, but we have a uke gig tonight and tomorrow night, so I gotta get with it. I'll be trying out the Sceptre on stage. :)

Stay in touch!
Aloha!

Sounds like a great trip! How come your factory blem doesn't have the "Factory Special" label mine did? I read that older blems had a Sharpie mark on the corner, rather than "Factory Special"......

Humm, I didn't know they were specifically marked. I told them I had looked all around Oahu for a Sceptre and was even told by some of the stores that they were no longer being made, and Pops had this one upstairs. They had a stack of Sceptre bodies in process too so they are indeed still making them. At least Pops is, he personally makes all the specialty models, I didn't know that either. Anyway, they just identified the reason it was classified as a second or "Factory Special" and gave me the price quoted by Pops. It turned out to be a "deal" because the individual checking me out had to reverify the price I was given since it was less than he expected... I did just go check and there is a little black mark on the bottom corner of the label.

image.jpg
The little mark in the corner should have been sufficient, and no need to announce it so boldly. Well.... I guess some people could have sold factory specials as firsts, after using lacquer thinner or whatever to remove the mark on the corner. All I know is you're happy, and your ukulele looks great. :)

Sounds like it was the trip of a lifetime, with a unique momento to boot!

Jake is a sweetheart, and there are not two nicer, cooler folks in the uke world than Chuck and Pops - great guys, both of them. Congrats on meeting all three, and on that stunning Sceptre of yours! :)

Wow! What an awesome trip!

That looks like an ukulele AXE! What a unique and awesome design.

Thanks everyone for the sentiments. I took the Sceptre to play its first gig tonight, it has an amazingly loud voice and the characteristic Ko'Aloha sound. Great new axe! :)

Top Bottom